Automatically reported bugs to the current sprint

Ali September 8, 2012

Hi,

I am using scrum rapid board (Greenhopper 5.8 labs on Jira 4.4.3) and would like to know is it's possible to automatically add reported bugs filed by QA to the current sprint instead of manually setting the current sprint's index to each bug?

One way that came to my mind is to set the default value for the Sprint custom filed used by Greenhoppe. But it wouldn't update the value of the current Sprint I enter. Anyone else facing this issue and has a fix/workardound?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ali October 9, 2012

Creating bugs as a sub-task solved my problem. So what we are doing now is we only close a feature if all the sub-tasks are closed. Also as we are not using GH6.0 which displays the stories as swimlanes which enable us to see all the sub-tasks on the rapid board.

Santosh Maurya July 10, 2017

This is the good way to log your bugs and keep track and have conditions on them if you want.. We have also changed workflow of Bugs, to make transitions much easier & quick. To manange and for measurement, we've also inherited some of the attributes from its parent issues automatically on its creation and put up a condition that Parent issue can be pushed to done only when severity 1 & 2 bugs are resolved...

0 votes
Neil Padgen September 18, 2012

Are you sure you want to do this? The scope of what's to be achieved in a given Sprint should be defined at the Sprint Planning Meeting. Any new requirements should go onto the Product Backlog. A Sprint Backlog should be fixed during a Sprint.

Remember that a Sprint is a deal between the development team and the customer: the development team says "every Sprint you can have us do something new as you see fit", while the customer says "we will leave you alone for the duration of the Sprint and will not interfere while you work."

If your Product Owner cannot wait for the end of a Sprint to have a bug fixed, then he will have to trade off something of equal value that the team has committed to implement.

All of which hopefully explains why new issues are not added to the current Sprint!

Ali September 18, 2012

Thanks for your response.

Well, I am not referring to "new requirements" by the product owner but to the bugs that crop up during QA for a "new feature" in a Sprint which needs to be fixed before we can say the new feture to be complete at the end of the Sprint.

When I estimate a story, I take into account these 'bugs'. When QA files bugs related to the new feature (and links then to the new feature ticket), I would want them to show up on the rapid board without modifying my rapid board filter so that developers can fix then in the current sprint.

P.S.: Bugs are not filed as sub-tasks in the feature ticket but as separate Bug issue type and are linked to the feature ticket.

Boris Churzin July 16, 2015

We have a different approach, bugs don't have estimations and are not part of the capacity, is there a solution for the OP's question?

Like Rebeka.Halbert likes this

Suggest an answer