Automatic Reminder for team members to log time for yesterday

Milan Lisica June 7, 2022

Hi smart folks.

I am trying to set automation that will send emails to all team members who didn't log time for the issues that they worked on the day/s before. We often need to remind people to log time as we need to bill clients for those worked hours.

I imagine the automation to review all project members, and if their time log is 0, to send them an email that I define - "Dear colleague, please log your time for yesterday. I love you".

I tried multiple options but couldn't manage to create IF JQL rule for it.

Have anyone tried something like this?

Thank you from the bottom of the heart of all Project managers who remind teammates on a daily basis to log their time on Jira issues that they worked on the day before :)

2 answers

2 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2022

Hi @Milan Lisica 

That is a tough problem to solve, for at least two reasons I can think of:

1. you want to observe the absence of information (e.g. worklog) and JQL is not very good at that for many fields like worklogs
  2. you want to use reminders to adjust behaviors...and perhaps the lack of people logging time has other causes

Improving the second item seems like a team conversation one why/value of/"what's in it for me" of logging the time.

I suspect there are marketplace addons to help with reporting for the first item.  Without and addon, you may be able to work-around it using automation rules and a custom field.  For example...

• Add a custom field for the Last Worklog Date
  • Add an automation rule triggered on work logging to set the field to {{now}}
  • Create a filter for issues in-progress or resolved in the last day, where the Last Worklog Date is empty...or older than a day.  Then subscribe to the filter to receive an email, or create a different automation rule to send out the email notifications.

Kind regards,
Bill

Milan Lisica June 8, 2022

Hi @Bill Sheboy 
Thank you very much for your in-depth analysis of my question. 
I will look up the marketplace.
Best regards,
Milan

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2022

Hi Milan,

We simply email a reminder to the users towards the end of each day using a Scheduled Trigger automation rule. We don't check to see if they haven't logged time or not - it's just a reminder to do it. If they have already logged hours for that day, great then they can ignore the email. 

Milan Lisica June 8, 2022

Hi @John Funk 
Yep, this solves the issue in a way. This was my second option, and thank you for the answer. We decided to go with a team newsletter inside of this email, and one of the points will be to send a "log time" reminder.
Thank you one more time,
Best regards,
Milan

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events