Auto Creating Tasks as backlog under EPIC whenever a new EPIC is created

Munir Patel May 5, 2021

Hi,

In a company based software project [cloud], how can one auto create a list of say 100+ predefined tasks in sequence whenever a new EPIC is created. 

Same 100+ tasks should be recreated again in backlog when a new EPIC is created in the same project.

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2021

Do the stories each have unique values in their fields?

How do you establish the sequence of the issues?

Would you get the right 100+ stories if you could clone an existing epic and its child stories?

There are a few different ways this might be achieved.

One solution is to manually import the stories to the Epic from a CSV file.

Another might be to use an app that supports creating issue templates. In my searching I ran across this one that specifically says you can create Epics plus child stories from a template. I've never used this before, so use at your own risk. And there may be other apps that provide similar functionality.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211044/issue-templates-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

If cloning an existing epic would work for you, then an app like Deep Clone might work. Again, I've not used the app before, and there may be others that provide similar functionality.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1218652/deep-clone-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Unfortunately, JIRA Cloud does not provide an option to clone child stories while cloning an Epic. See https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-7721?error=login_required&error_description=Login+required&state=7f14ba2f-3d47-4ec0-847a-3c6d1195e52d

Let me know if any of those suggestions are helpful or if you have additional questions on them.

Munir Patel May 6, 2021

Hi Trudy,

Thank you for your response and providing so many options. I will test few of them and let you know how it goes. Appreciate your time and efforts.

Munir Patel May 9, 2021

Hi Trudy,

If I create another project of similar type called "Project template" and upload tasks through csv in it. Then, in my actual project, I create an Automation rule that whenever an epic is created, it should copy the tasks underneath the new EPIC created from this "Project template". Will that work. If yes, then can you please provide some info on how this can be done through automation.

Thanks

Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 10, 2021

I'm the product manager of Deep Clone for Jira.

@Munir Patel, if you have questions about our Jira cloud app, don't hesitate to get in touch with our support.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2021

Hello Munir,

I have not had to implement this use case so I can not say with certainty that it can be done using the Automation feature, nor do I know the steps to implement it.

Suggest an answer