Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Auto Creating Tasks as backlog under EPIC whenever a new EPIC is created

Hi,

In a company based software project [cloud], how can one auto create a list of say 100+ predefined tasks in sequence whenever a new EPIC is created. 

Same 100+ tasks should be recreated again in backlog when a new EPIC is created in the same project.

Thanks

1 answer

Do the stories each have unique values in their fields?

How do you establish the sequence of the issues?

Would you get the right 100+ stories if you could clone an existing epic and its child stories?

There are a few different ways this might be achieved.

One solution is to manually import the stories to the Epic from a CSV file.

Another might be to use an app that supports creating issue templates. In my searching I ran across this one that specifically says you can create Epics plus child stories from a template. I've never used this before, so use at your own risk. And there may be other apps that provide similar functionality.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211044/issue-templates-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

If cloning an existing epic would work for you, then an app like Deep Clone might work. Again, I've not used the app before, and there may be others that provide similar functionality.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1218652/deep-clone-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Unfortunately, JIRA Cloud does not provide an option to clone child stories while cloning an Epic. See https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-7721?error=login_required&error_description=Login+required&state=7f14ba2f-3d47-4ec0-847a-3c6d1195e52d

Let me know if any of those suggestions are helpful or if you have additional questions on them.

Hi Trudy,

Thank you for your response and providing so many options. I will test few of them and let you know how it goes. Appreciate your time and efforts.

Hi Trudy,

If I create another project of similar type called "Project template" and upload tasks through csv in it. Then, in my actual project, I create an Automation rule that whenever an epic is created, it should copy the tasks underneath the new EPIC created from this "Project template". Will that work. If yes, then can you please provide some info on how this can be done through automation.

Thanks

I'm the product manager of Deep Clone for Jira.

@Munir Patel, if you have questions about our Jira cloud app, don't hesitate to get in touch with our support.

Hello Munir,

I have not had to implement this use case so I can not say with certainty that it can be done using the Automation feature, nor do I know the steps to implement it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Marketplace Apps & Integrations

Jira issue check and more advanced commit verifications for Bitbucket DC

Pre-receive hooks that verify the Git commit message, the modified files, and implement similar code change controls used to be requirements of large enterprises working in regulated industries only....

24 views 0 0
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you