Assigning stories from closed sprints to epics

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2013

Hi

On the plan board, i can easily drag and drop existing stories on to the epics.

However, i now have some stories which were fixed in sprints which are now closed. And plan board does not display stories from closed sprints. So, i have no way to assign those stories to its corresponding epics.

How can i do that?.

To add to it, this is currently not possible via greenhoper, and it is a feature request

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-7899

Any workaround to do so?

Rahul

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2013
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 23, 2013

Thanks Christian. Another workaround i found is to re-open the closed issue, then link it to the epic and then close it. Surprisingly, after closing the story in the current sprint, the story still shows as closed in the original sprint.

0 votes
Kim Poulsen
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 22, 2013

The default is that closed issues are not editable so you'll either have to (temporarily) modify the workflow to allow editing closed issues or you have to reopen all those closed to modify the sprint.

Then use the suggestion above for bulk editing.

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 22, 2013

I would suggest to anyone to replace the jira.issue.editable property to sth like jira.permission.edit.group = jira-administrators.

That way administrators can always perform bulk updates which are necessary from time to time...

Kim Poulsen
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 22, 2013

Good tip Christian.

A description of where to go to do this (for an older Jira though) is found here:

http://www.j-tricks.com/1/post/2011/02/permissions-based-on-workflow-status.html

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 22, 2013

Problem is not with editing the issue via JIRA ( iam more than happy to edit the jira issue to associate the story with its epic however even on editing i do not get an option to do so.

Any suggestions? How do we link a story to an epic by editing the issue?

Rahul

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 22, 2013

Do you have the "Epic Link" Field on your edit issue screen? (And you'd have to be using JIRA Agile, not the old Greenhopper)

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 22, 2013

Hi Christian

Epic link field is locked for jira agile use only. even if i add it to screen and field configurations, i cant see it on jira issue.

Epic link field is used by jira agile internally and updated automatically by jira agile and not available for updation manually.

Correct me if i am wrong

Rahul

0 votes
J. Caldwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 22, 2013

You should be able to use JQL to identify the items and then bulk edit them to link them to the epic.

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 22, 2013

Hi Caldwell

thanks for your answer.

Problem is not with editing the issue via JIRA . iam more than happy to edit the jira issue to associate the story with its epic however even on editing i do not get an option to do so.

Any suggestions? How do we link a story to an epic by editing the jira issue?

I know we cant do it on greenhopper and it is a feature request GHS-7899

Rahul

Suggest an answer