Assignee field error

Ignacio Arroyo July 19, 2017

Hi!

When I start typing something in the assignee field JIRA gives back following error "The JIRA server was contacted but has returned an error response. We are unsure of the result of this operation"

And give more details:

An error occurred… Please try refreshing the page, or contact your administrator / Atlassian Support if the problem continues. Details

• Exception: Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'value' of undefined
    • Resource:
    • Line: 3368
    • Column: 1791

Environment Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/52.0.2743.116 Safari/537.36 Stack trace

• TypeError: Cannot read property 'value' of undefined
  • at Object. ()
  • at Array.filter ()
  • at Function.b.filter.b.select ()
  • at Object.removeDuplicates ()
  • at Class.formatSuggestions ()
  • at Class. ()
  • at j ()

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 20, 2017

Hi Eduardo,

Sorry to hear you are having this error.  However the way you described this problem sounds very similar to a known bug in JIRA 7.2.0  through 7.2.5 that could cause this same behavior.   Please see JRASERVER-63109 for details.

If you are running a version of JIRA in that range, I would strongly recommend that you upgrade JIRA to a newer version such as 7.2.9 in order to resolve this issue.

There is a work-around on that bug page, but I can tell you that the steps to complete that work-around are not trivial to do, especially if you have a lot of users.  And honestly, I think that upgrading JIRA is preferable to having to rename all the users in your user directory twice.

Please let me know if you have any follow up concerns.

Andy

duncan-atkinson September 29, 2017

We have this issue, we are using

JIRA Software 7.3.6

Jeff Tillett
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2018

We are also seeing this on 7.10.2

David Matula August 12, 2019

We have this error in 8.3.1. regarding Kanban boards.

Jane Wallis June 26, 2020

We are seeing this defect in the latest version of JIRA.  8.7.1

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 29, 2020

Hi everyone,

If you're seeing a similar bug to this one in a version such as 7.2.9 or higher, then I'd recommend creating a new support ticket with Atlassian for this.  It's likely that you are experiencing a slightly different bug with some of the same aspects.

I have not been able to replicate this behavior in any of the versions after 7.2.9 where people have listed in the past few months.  Hence I think that there might be another bug or bugs out there that might have a related error message here. 

When creating a support case for this, please be sure to include a support zip and it might also help to grab a screenshot of the error just so that we can see exactly where this error is happening.

Thanks

Andy

Suggest an answer