Assign Custom Field to a Single Issue

Helen Stange June 4, 2021

I am using Jira Software project as a kind of 'questionnaire'. The questions are grouped into  Epics, and the individual questions are Tasks. Most questions require a Yes/No response and I have set-up a custom field (checkbox) for that. There are a few questions that require unique custom fields, for example a checkbox with 10 unique options, or a question with a multi-select dropdown.

I want to assign ex. TASK-123 a custom field so that the end user can select all that apply, and then move that Task to done. I don't want this custom field to appear in all Issues in my project, so I think creating a new screen for Issue Type doesn't work, because all of the questions are set-up as tasks. 

I don't want to use forms or the task management template - it's important to stick with a Jira Software project.

Would be great to know if this is even possible. Thanks for any ideas.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2021

Hi Helen - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I am afraid that you would have to setup a separate Issue Type for those issues. Then you can control which fields appear on a screen by Issue Type. But there is no field level security within Jira that would allow you to do it otherwise. 

Helen Stange June 4, 2021

Thanks so much John! I attempted and googled this for hours, great to get a definitive answer. Cheers

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2021

You are welcome.  :-)

That's a big part of what Community is here for, so bring your questions!

Like Helen Stange likes this

Suggest an answer