• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • Are there more than 2 issue types in JIRA(standard issue type and sub-task issue type)? If so which one is an 'Epic'? If not, what issue type is an Epic?

Are there more than 2 issue types in JIRA(standard issue type and sub-task issue type)? If so which one is an 'Epic'? If not, what issue type is an Epic?

Morgan Thunder July 27, 2015

If an Epic is just a standard issue type, why does it behave differently? What kind of issue type is it? I can't find a name for it in JIRA documentation.

1 answer

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2015

This is slightly confused by the language.  JIRA ships with several issue types (bug, strory, issue, sub-task, etc) and Epic is simply another type.  And you can add more.  I think you're asking about the hierarchy, rather than the "issue types" (This is a matter of wording - issue type means something specific in JIRA-speak)

The answer is that in plain JIRA, the hierarchy is Project, Issue, sub-task.  Epics and Stories both exist at the issue level.

When you add Agile to a plain JIRA, your Epics remain in the same place, but a load more functionality goes in on top, that allows them to cross projects and contain stories.  But they don't really move from the same level as issues.

Oh, and have a look at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Working+with+Epics

Morgan Thunder July 28, 2015

Ok- thanks. I was confused as an 'Epic' seems to have been granted a third level above issues and sub-tasks by the Agile plugin. It certainly behaves differently. The language is confusing - you say there are only issues and sub-tasks, but the Atlassian website talks about 'sub-task issues' and 'sub-task issue types' which suggests that sub-tasks are also issues - that all tickets are in fact issues and then there are 'standard' and 'sub-task' types. Semantics I suppose but it did cause some confusion even in processing your reply - which was very helpful! Thanks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2015

Yes, I find the language confusing as well, even the Atlassian stuff mixes up "issue type" (issue type) and "issue type" (standard/subtask). Sub-tasks are indeed issues in their own right, but they always live below a parent issue type and can't be created separately. Epics are also a bit confusing - with Agile, they are still standard issue types, but they behave in a way that makes them have standard issues as children, almost like subtasks.

Suggest an answer