Approve a ticket before Development

Joao Borges January 7, 2021

Hi there,

How could I implement some restrictions on a  a specific issue type  in JIRA.Current project has 8 different issue types

Example:

I just created an issue type called Infrastructure. If a issue type = Infrastructure, in order to move from "Review" column to " TO DO", I need to add a restriction to assign a ticket to a specific person for approval

Once this person approves it, then ticket is good to go to TO DO column 

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2021

Hi Joao,

This is the kind of thing that JSM really helps with. It has built in approval functions that do exactly what you are wanting to do. I would suggest you give it a try, although it will mean a possible extra expense. 

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2021

First just an observation/opinion. It seems a bit heavy to have an issuetype for use here vs. say using Components. Admittedly I don't understand your needs. :-)

But given you are using issuetype here is what I suggest...

Create a unique workflow (hopefully Classic here) for Infrastructure issuetype. on the Create transition add a PF to assign to a specific person. Create a custom field for Approved (yes/no, default to no). Once the approver sets to approved then a Validator on the transition to To Do will allow the transition.

@Jack Brickey  I was trying to do by components but was not able to. Could I add a transition for a specific component ?

@ACK, also I had issues in the past with custom field, that affected the whole project and other people were unable to create tickets, 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2021

Not exactly and it may be that (understanding your use case better here) the separate issuetype is the way to go. When I say "infrastructure" it made me think that you might use components to capture your SW areas (Infrastructure, UI, Backend, etc.) which works well in that you can assign component leads and these leads would approve changes. But if indeed only Infrastructure requires approval then maybe issuetype is the way to go.

Now, what you could do using Components (maybe as their used to be a bug and unsure if addressed) is to have two different paths w/in the workflow. One that goes straight to To Do (doesn't require approval) and another that must first go thru Approval status before To Do. The transition directly to To Do is allowed if the Component is not Infrastructure (use Condition Value Field I think) whereas Infrastructure issues must go thru Approval status first.

Like Joao Borges likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events