Apply parent ranking to child records

Ivan Ribakov April 1, 2024

My use case:

I need to prepare the quarter roadmap for a team. This typically includes 10-15 epics and 50+ stories.

I find Advanced Roadmaps very useful for planning at the epic level first. I do this by ranking all epics by priority and estimating their size in days/weeks.

What I want to do next, is to automatically (with minimal effort) rank the stories based on the epic rank. This is so that the stories can be viewed from a Kanban board and development team could work by always taking the top item from the backlog without second thought.

Let me illustrate what I'm trying to achieve. Given 4 stories belonging to 2 separate epics ordered by story rank:

1. Story1 [Epic1]
  2. Story2 [Epic2]
  3. Story3 [Epic1]
  4. Story4 [Epic2]

after I'm done ordering epics in the following order: Epic1 -> Epic2, I want story rank to reflect that:

1. Story1 [Epic1]
  2. Story3 [Epic1]
  3. Story2 [Epic2]
  4. Story4 [Epic2]

From this article I understand that ranking in Jira works only relative to other records at the same hierarchy level (Epics, Stories, Tasks, etc):

All issues are ranked relative to those with the same hierarchy level, meaning the ranking of an epic won’t impact the ranking of a story

That is fine by me and I can live with that. I also see value in that since in some cases it may be needed to fine-tune some story ranking to alternate between epics based on the available resources, blockers, etc.

Is there some way to "one-time" apply parent ranking to the child ranking?

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2024

Hi Ivan,

No, I am not aware of a way to do that programmatically - only manually. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events