Application access

Cris N July 20, 2017

Hi there,

I have Jira Software, Bamboo and Bitbucket all installed on the same server and connected via Application links. They all show connected properly. However When I go to Application Access I don't see them (Bitbucket and Bamboo).

I set Jira so that it controls the user management for all 3 however I want it so that when a new user signs up for Jira, it has access to all 3 servers. I checked your documentation and it seems to be easy...go to 'Set Defauls' and select the applications for which the new users should have access to. Unfortunately, for me, on that window it only displays Jira Software and nothing else. 

Please help me add the other 2 servers to the Applications so that I can give default access to all 3 servers in one go.

Thanks,

Cristian

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 21, 2017

JIRA's Application Access page is not intended to control the access level to these other products such as confluence, bamboo, bitbucket, hipchat, etc.   You can't control those applications in JIRA like that, but I can understand why you might want to.   

It is only intended to allow you to control JIRA Core, JIRA Software, and JIRA Service Desk application access to your users.   Presumably you would have users that might need access to one or more of these JIRA components, but most of your JIRA users would not need to be in the roles for each.   Allocating users to these roles do consume license seats, so administrators tend to want to tightly control which JIRA users have access to which JIRA features.

You can use JIRA Server as a user directory server, which it sounds like you are doing.   Lots of organizations do this when they want to make sure that they are sharing the same userbase between each application.

But even if these user accounts exist in Bitbucket server, you will still need to login as an Admin to bitbucket and make sure that these user accounts have application access to bitbucket.   I'd recommend  Bitbucket Server documentation on Users and Groups :

Even after users have been added to the Bitbucket Server user directory, they will not be able to log in to Bitbucket Server until they have been given global access permissions.

This isn't something you can do directly from JIRA, it has to be done from bitbucket. 

Cris N July 24, 2017

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your answer...after many days of trying different things and re-installing Bamboo and Bitbucket about 3 different times, I kind of figured it might not be possible. However, then this article is really confusing to people because it suggests you can really do what I want.

I want that every new user created to get instant access to all 3 servers and that's what it says on that page. So, either that page needs to be edited or I'm still not getting something right. Anyway, in the meantime I did what you suggested but that's still not great. 

Thanks!

Cheers,

Cris

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 24, 2017

Hi Cris,

That link you posted Manage application access - Atlassian Documentation is actually for our Cloud platform.  You can see this in the specific URL as well.  

I am afraid that the Cloud versions tend to be very similar to server versions, but our Cloud platform tends to get newer features way before Server does.  Also our Cloud instances are setup to already be integrated with other Atlassian Cloud products on your account.   I think that explains the confusion here.   I am afraid there is not a 1:1 feature parity between Cloud and Server at this time.

Sorry this probably isn't the response you want to here, but I think that explains why you can't control this in that manner.

Andy

Suggest an answer