Any way of changing Assignees as we transition from one status to the other?

Afroz Fakhir December 6, 2022

Hi all!

I am working on multiple projects at once. The teams are divided as per each epic in one project. So i need to have the assignees changed as the developer changes their status from In progress to Ready for Testing/QA.

I have tried Post Function from issues transitions, but this is limited to changing to limited people and is quite a strict rule. Is there any way i can set team members to be assigned to the issues as per my requirements when issues are transitioned in one epic of a project?

2 answers

0 votes
Marta Woźniak-Semeniuk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2022

Hi @Afroz Fakhir 
Best way would be to use automation rule 

set trigger to issue transition to a given state

add a condition to assign the issue to a person or a group as per your requirements

Let me know if you need help with setting the rule :) 

Afroz Fakhir December 6, 2022

well the thing is i ll be needing different people assigned to different tasks. like different QAs after devs etc. 

As far as my knowledge goes that will be set for a singular project.

if not let me know how you do this automation!

Marta Woźniak-Semeniuk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2022

It all depends how complicated is the list of conditions for the re-assignments. I'd need a bit more info to help you :) 

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Afroz Fakhir December 7, 2022

Ill try to make more sense to it.

We have 3 teams, with 3 different TLs, 3 different QAs, and the developers. Now the project is managed by these 3 teams. We have divided them through epics. since its one project. 

Like one is making the Pages and everything for the website, the other is dealing with the art and where are we going to use it etc. The third being Unity developers. 

Now, i have to assign a TL when a dev completes their ticket and move their task to ready for testing. Now this will be a different TL from the rest of the 2 teams. since the post function allows specific people to be added to assignee i cant manage to add 3 of them according to my need. the same case for the QAs as well.

hope this makes better sense 😅

Marta Woźniak-Semeniuk
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 8, 2022

In automation rules you can add a condition that basing of who is currently an assignee on the issue, when moving it to a specified status - the next assignee will be assigned

I.e. if the issue is going from "code review" to "in testing" and the current assignee is DEV1 who worked on it then the next assignee should be QA1 but if it is DEV2 it should be QA3 etc. Does that sound like what you are aiming for?

Afroz Fakhir December 8, 2022

Whoa. Yess. Thanks. It'll be awesome if you let me know how to do that!

0 votes
Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2022

Hi,

If you're in Atlassian Cloud you could use automation or if you're in Server Scriptrunner.

Afroz Fakhir December 7, 2022

I have to plainly decline for this. Thanks for this. I will ask my coworkers if they know and help me out with this. 

Suggest an answer