Any issues upgrading Jira Agile from 6.3.6.1 to 6.6.13

Mike Soultanian December 3, 2014

Hi,

We currently have JIRA base v6.0.6 and we would like to upgrade the JIRA Agile plugin from 6.3.6.1 to the latest version which is 6.6.13.  Will we encounter any major problems?  Do we need to upgrade JIRA base before we upgrade the plugin?

Thanks!

Mike

5 answers

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2014

JIRA Agile 6.6.13 is compatible only from JIRA 6.1. So you need to upgrade JIRA first.

I am not sure if there are any major issues but some performance related issues in JIRA Agile 6.4 and 6.5 are resolved in 6.6.x. Being a minor version, I wouldn't foresee any major issues but it is recommended to test first!

0 votes
Mike Soultanian December 8, 2014

Thanks for your help - we're bringing up an old instance and bringing it up as a dev server for testing.  Thanks for the advice!

0 votes
WeAreAllJustinNow
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 4, 2014

Hi Mike,

One of biggest changes in JIRA Agile from 6.3 to versions above 6.4 is the implementation of a new system that handles how issues are ranked.  When upgrading, your data is automatically migrated from the "old" system to this new one.  This data migration can take some time if you are running a large instance, so that is something to plan for.  

However, that all being said, my best advice when doing any kind of upgrade it to test it out first.  Spin up a test instance and restore a backup from your production system and run through the upgrade as well as run some UAT to make sure your organizations needs are being met.  It's just the smart thing to do smile

0 votes
cgauterio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 4, 2014

Hi Mike,

You can check the changes that were introduced in the JIRA 6.1 Release Notes, or if you are interested in upgrading to the latest version, please see JIRA Latest Release Notes.

I suggest you perform the update on a test server first, to make sure everything is working as expected, before upgrading your production instance. We have a documentation regarding upgrade at Upgrading JIRA.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Clarissa.

0 votes
Mike Soultanian December 3, 2014

So... if we're running 6.0.6, are we going to see any major issues jumping up to 6.1?  I know that one of the guys that does a lot with JIRA and Agile was nervous about the upgrade as they've had issues in the past when they did upgrades as it made changes to workflows and and other things like that.

Also, is there a recommendation as to how far to upgrade JIRA base?  As in, should we upgrade it to the latest version and has it proven stable enough for everyone?

I'm just trying to get a heads up on any caveats that people might have found and do what we can to prepare for that.  We've got just under 100 users so we don't want to screw things up.  We plan on doing a snapshot of the server and backup of the DB.

Thanks!

Mike

Suggest an answer