Another Jira Epic Filter Question

brian.kleinschmidt January 12, 2022

Hey all, 

I promise I've spent a lot of time searching and just can't seem to find the answer. 

I need to create an Jira filter that will return back a list of Story tickets IF a custom field has been selected on an epic. Which basically is a 2 part query..

1. Return a list of epics if that field has been selected (easy enough) 
  2. But in addition to #1, show me all the sub stories linked to that epic

As you can see below, achieving #1 is pretty easy, it returned back 13 epics since that custom field is only available on epic tickets. 

Snip20220112_70.png

But what I now need and am really after is, if those selections above (Both, Test) are selected, then return back all the stories within those epics which have those selection. So instead of returning 13 results, I should get something like 50+ or whatever the total number of tickets is in all of the epics.

There is where I fall down completely. 

Help! 

:) 

1 answer

2 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2022

Hello @brian.kleinschmidt 

Welcome to the community.

Jira doesn't natively support using the output of one filter as the input to constrain a second filter. That functionality can be found in apps that are available in the Atlassian Marketplace. Adaptavist Scriptrunner is one such app, but provides much more than just the functionality you need. Another such app is Enhanced Search (JQL & Subqueries)

There may be others. I used Adaptavist Scriptrunner in the past. I've not used Enhanced Search.

Alternately, you could write your own code to use the Jira REST API to execute the query, then parse the output to make the second query with the list of returned Epic Issue Keys and then run the second query.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events