Agile: moving a user story from sprint to backlog

Werner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 28, 2013

I want to move a user story from an open sprint back to the backlog, but it doesn't work - it stays in the sprint.

The project admin and I (JIRA Admin) tried it both, but it doesn't work.

Any ideas?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Werner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 28, 2013

Nope, didn't work. It worked for me now as follows:

1. right click on user story and "Remove from sprint"

2. It is sent to the next sprint

3. From there: right click (or drag/drop) and "Send to backlog"

br,

Werner

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 28, 2013

I didn't think about how having multiple planned sprints would impact that problem, good solution.

Werner
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 28, 2013

Thanks anyways Peter! The discussion helped me to figure it out.

chandrasekar January 27, 2015

Hi.. I am using Atlassian JIRA v5.0.1(bit old), is it possible to move a story from active sprint to backlog or another upcoming sprint?

0 votes
Werner
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 28, 2013

It is in the first column and the work on it hasn't started right now.

The problem is that there are many issues in that sprint, so we don't want to close it.

Normally, when I move over the user story in the plan mode and make a right-mouse-click, i get "Send to top/bottom of backlog", but it seems that this works for future sprints (=not started) only.

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 28, 2013

Did you try to just drap it out of your sprint onto the product backlog,

That works for me.

Best regards,

Peter

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 28, 2013

Hi Werner,

Which version of Jira and Jira Agile are you using?

Is it an active sprint or just a planned sprint?

Did you get an error message?

Best regards,

Peter

Werner
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 28, 2013

Hi Peter!

Here are the answers to your questions:

JIRA 5.2.6

JIRA Agile 6.2.5.1

It is an active sprint and there are no error messages, it just doesn't work.

Best regards,

Werner

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 28, 2013

Hi Werner,

I just tried it (drap it from the active sprint in the plan view to the product backlog) and that seems to work, but only for issues that are still in the first column of my scrum board.

Did you already work on the issue that you want to remove from the sprint?

Can't you just simply close the sprint with the issue still in it? It will be automatically moved back to the top of the product backlog.

Best regards,

Peter

Suggest an answer