Agile Burndown Report not showing work logged

Mike Sorensen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 8, 2014

This is similar to several "Questions" in this forum that have not received answers in months so I'm worried.... 

Setup: Issue 123 is in Sprint 7 (Completed: Oct 30 - Dec 2) as well as Sprint 8 (Open: Dec 2 - Jan 15)  

Original estimate is 1w3d

6d of work are in the log between 11/18 and 11/26. work spread across 7 different days. 

Issue 123 is currently in "In Progress" state with 2d remaining work

Problem: Issue 123 is not showing in the Burndown Chart for Sprint 7. I would expect to see downward steps in several places where the 6d of work is being performed - this work does not show. 

4 answers

2 votes
Craig Leigh December 12, 2014

Under the configuration menu for your scrum board is a option for 'Estimation'  this controls how your board will burndown.  We use, for instance, Story Points, not Original Time Estimate or Issue Count.  Make sure this setting corresponds to how you want to use the board.  Secondly, time or story points should be entered during the plan mode prior to starting the sprint or joining the sprint.  Any issues added or removed during the sprint will reflect as scope change.   

0 votes
Eric_Mertens October 24, 2017

Still not answered i believe.

Has there been an answer somewhere else?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 24, 2017

Looks simple to me - issue-123 is not "done", so it doesn't count towards the burndown yet.

Eric_Mertens October 25, 2017

Thanks, that could be an answer there...... +1

Your tone is somewhat misplaced -1

But hey to each his own ...cheerio!

0 votes
Mike Sorensen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2014

JIRA 6.3.8

JIRA Agile 6.6.0

From looking at issue history, the issue was in from the beginning of both Sprints. I'm giving one example, there are many issues that are not showing progress in the Burndown report. The Burndown report also doesn't show those issues below the graph in the list of which issues had progress and which didn't. 

It looks to me as if the report has some filter in place that doesn't include these issues. I see no information about what filters are being used in the creation of this report. I also wonder if the fact that this issue is in multiple sprints would affect the report. Only one sprint is active the other is closed. 

0 votes
Brian Jones
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2014

What Version of JIRA and JIRA Agile are you using?

Did you add the work while the Sprint was still open? Not sure if that matters, but figured i would ask.

Suggest an answer