Agile Board view for anonymous users in jira 7.3.3

Leena Bakshi December 12, 2017

Hi,

I recently upgraded to jira 7.3.3 and noticed that earlier with v6.4.12 users who didnt have jira id, could see agile boards and then the issues on them. But now boards are not visible to anonymous users, however they can see the projects and the issues in those projects. 

I have users who are complaining that they want business users who are not licensed jira users to be able to see the  board and the issues as per different swimlanes and quick filters so that they know which issues are going to be dealt with priority. Basically they want the old view with the new version

does anyone have this issue too?

1 answer

1 vote
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 14, 2017

Hi @Leena Bakshi

This was a known issue that first changed in regards to the 7.0.0 release of Jira Software.   With Jira 7, it is not possible to show agile/software boards to anonymous users.  

Instead, I would recommend checking out the KB Anonymous User does not have Access to JIRA Agile Features after Upgrade to JIRA 7.  This KB provides a work-around where you can include a set of user credentials in a URL in order to see a board view for multiple users.  But this is not 100% the same functionality that existing in Jira Agile versions 6.x and possibly before.  You still need to allocate a Jira Software user account for this account to be able to view this board.

You will also find in that KB a link to this feature request to re-add this past functionality: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-12623

However this was closed as something that won't be implemented in Jira Software.  There is a note from one of the Jira product managers on that ticket about this:

JIRA Software is only available to licensed users and so JIRA Software specific features such as Agile boards will not be visible to anonymous users. More information here.

I hope that the work-around mentioned in that KB is sufficient, because I don't see any other way to actually grant anonymous users access to Agile/Software boards in Jira 7.

Regards,

Andy

Jeff Everett April 25, 2019

Thanks for making the situation here clear, Andy.  I don't like what the business has decided to do here, but I do at least appreciate that you've made the situation clear.

Suggest an answer