Agile Board + Filter By Sprint + Swimlanes By Epic = "No issues are currently visible." Why?

drewctaylor April 7, 2015

I'm trying to create a JIRA board which displays only issues in a particular sprint and then bases swimlanes on epic.

When I try "base swimlanes on epics" alone, the board displays the issues from all sprints and bases swimlanes on epics. Good.

When I try a filter such as "project = Test and Sprint=43 ORDER BY Rank ASC" alone, the board displays the issues in that particular project and that particular sprint. Also good.

However, when I combine the two, the board says "No issues currently visible."

I've tried this on two different JIRA instances, and I've seen the same behavior on both. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong, and what I should do to make it work? Is it even possible?

Edit:

Per the comment (which I can't respond to at the moment), changing the query to

"project = Test and (sprint = 43 or issuetype = Epic) ORDER BY Rank ASC"

Appears to work. Why is that?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2015

What's the difference between the filter that works and the one you have posted here?

Nothing - I've created a test project, and that's the query I'm using.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2015

No, it wasn't. When you try "base swimlanes on epics alone..." it works. At this point, you are running a board. What is the filter for that board? What is the difference between that filter and the one you just posted?

The query for the board that based swimlanes on epics was "project = Test ORDER BY Rank ASC". That displayed the issues across all sprints. The query for the board that based swimlanes on epics and filtered by sprints was "project = Test and Sprint=43 ORDER BY Rank ASC".

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 7, 2015

Ok, so the problem is adding the "sprint =" clause. Could you try "project = Test and (sprint = 43 or issuetype = Epic)"?

Ed Guy April 7, 2015

My best guess ... unless you're doing something unusual the Epics themselves aren't added to the sprint, the "Issues in Epic" are.  There are no Epics in the sprint, so the board is empty.  By adding "or issue type = Epic" you add all Epics independent of Sprint.

drewctaylor April 8, 2015

Many thanks!

Suggest an answer