Agile: Anyone can create a Scrum board -- why????

Brent Webster
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2013

I newly installed Jira Agile plugin 6.3.4 on top of my 5.2.11 standalone Jira server.

My current Jira setup is tightly controlled using a custom workflow with scriptrunner groovy scripts for transition conditions and validators. Only a limited group of users (managers and scrum masters) have full editting access to issues (i.e. permission scheme customized to limit direct editing and scheduling of issues in general). There are two main Jira projects: Features and Bugs which I want to include in the overall agile backlog. Then I find out that anyone can select the "Getting Started" menu under the Agile tab and select the "create scrum board". Why??

I need to limit this access.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2013

A Scrumboard only provides a view on a list of Issues (using an Issue Filter). The idea is that everyone should be able to create his/her own view on the progress.

If I want to add my own Quick Filters or I'd rather have a different view while working in a sprint (other swimlanes, different details) or even when I'm working in more than 1 scrum team.

At my work we for example have a scrumboard we use for our daily standups (with all projects we're currently working on) but we also have a scrumboard per project so the Product Owners and Project Leaders of those projects can follow up without having to worry about the other projects.

The fact that every user is allowed to create a scrumboard isn't necessarly an issue in my opinion.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2013

+1.

Just to add to Maarten's answer:

Why not? As long as your JIRA permissions and Workflow permissions are correctly set, having a board to view the issues does not impact anything. No users will be able to make any changes to the issues and all the rules that you have set using conditions/validators are respected.

1 vote
dchisholm November 17, 2013

At a minimum, it's confusing for users that do not need Agile let alone know what it is. We have a variety of projects on our system and not all of them are development or operations related. Users of these projects will be confused with the Agile views, and they are going to cost me a lot of time explaining to them that they should ignore it. You took a big step backwards in usability by removing the per-project control of this plugin.

0 votes
dchisholm November 26, 2014

I found a solution to this problem.  It's posted at https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/263028

Suggest an answer