After update jira from 8.12 to 8.16 the attachments is not showing in Jira dashboard

Netinium August 2, 2021

If we click on a link to an attachment we have than error "Oops, you've found a dead link"

3 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2021

Hi @Netinium

I strongly believe you are running into a change, specifically done in version 8.15 where the web.xml needs special handling as for changed image attachment processing.

I even more believe so as you wrote:

I only think that mybe when I updates Jira I put 4 files back in Jira so that it running on https and that are:

\usr\jira\atlassian\jira\atlassian-jira\WEB-INF\web.xml

Please compare with the upgrade notes of version 8.15:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftware/jira-software-8-15-x-upgrade-notes-1041828754.htmlgrafik.png

Regards,
Daniel

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2021

Hi @Netinium ,

Can you check your "health checks" to see if something is wrong with the attachments? Are there any checks failing?

Also, on disk do you actually have something in the attachments folder?

Netinium August 2, 2021

When I restart Jira and login the message was:

Jira was successfully upgraded to version 8.16.2 on 29/Jul/21 at 12:51. Here's a summary of the checks we ran during the upgrade.

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2021

Can you go to https://<yourhostname>/plugins/servlet/troubleshooting/view/

There you should see any current health issues just to rule something out.

Netinium August 2, 2021

Where can I find the "health checks"?

Netinium August 2, 2021

1 issues

Gadget feed URL

What does this check do?

Checks if Jira is able to access itself through the gadgets feed URL to ensure that dashboard gadgets will work.

Result

Jira is not able to access itself through the Gadget feed URL. This is necessary so that dashboard gadgets can be generated successfully. Please verify the current Base URL and if necessary, review your network configurations to resolve the problem.

Netinium August 2, 2021

But this is a error that we have for a long time...

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 2, 2021

well you mention you have an issue with dashboards and your gadget feed cannot reach itself.. 

I'm not saying it will be the cause but just because the error has been there a long time doesn't mean it won't mess anything up.

I would at least fix that to make sure it's not causing the issue.

Netinium August 2, 2021

oke

Netinium August 2, 2021

What must I do to make this work again.

Netinium August 2, 2021

When I will view a attachment this is the error by all the attachments. 

Oops.png

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 2, 2021

Did you change your home directory during the upgrade? 

Have you tried performing a full reindex?

Netinium August 2, 2021

Yes I have performing a full reindex.

And no I have not changed my Home directory.

I only think that mybe when I updates Jira I put 4 files back in Jira so that it running on https and that are:

\usr\jira\atlassian\jira\atlassian-jira\WEB-INF\web.xml

\usr\jira\atlassian\jira\bin\jira.jks

\usr\jira\atlassian\jira\conf\server.xml

\usr\jira\atlassian\jira\conf\web.xml

but i've been doing this for a long time. with no problems at all.

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 3, 2021

Well I don't see how those would impact your attachments altho it is linking to a "secure" directory so who knows.

I'm usually not a fan of setting files back from a previous installation, I would reconfigure those files based on my old ones in the new setup.

Is there anything else you can see in the Jira or Catalina log? (maybe even your developer console in your browser?)

otherwise it might be best to create a support.zip file and create a ticket at Atlassian directly. (https://support.atlassian.com/contact)

Netinium August 4, 2021

Hello, Dirk

I have restored an VMWare images wat was before the update of Jira. so that I canstart over to update Jira but I use the 8.17.1 version and that is going successfuly.

and make a backup of the data from the Jira 8.16.2 and restore it to 8.17.1 and everything works fine. 

Like Dirk Ronsmans likes this
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 8, 2021

Did you also replace the files in this upgrade?

Because @Daniel Ebers 's his answer regarding the release notes between versions makes a lot of sense as to why you have the issue.

Netinium August 8, 2021

Yes I have but only 2 files and not 3

- usr\jira\atlassian\jira\bin\jira.jdk

-usr\jira\atlassian\jira\conf\server.xml

It's working fine now.

Like Dirk Ronsmans likes this
0 votes
Netinium August 2, 2021

All attachments links are not working anymore....

Suggest an answer