After a JIRA fallback method upgrade, it doesn't install/open the service.

José Luis Álvarez August 28, 2017

I have running one instance of JIRA (v7.0.5) as a service. I followed the instructions of how to upgrade JIRA with a fallback method, and I installed the newest JIRA on a separate directory and database.

Now I'm not able to start JIRA as a service. There's a message saying "invalid service name" when I try to start the service, and if I try to install it it fails saying that the name it's already in use.

Is it possible to have the two instances running as a service? Maybe I have to unistall the first instance service, but I don't want to go on doing such a thing without being sure about it.

Many thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Eads _unmonitored account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2017

Hi Jose,

More details might be helpful - are you on WIndows or Linux?

If you're on Linux, see if there's another JIRA process running somewhere:

ps aux|grep java

You mentioned installing JIRA to a separate directory. I think potentially on either OS you might have wound up not creating a new service for the "new" JIRA install/path, and what's there is pointing at the existing (and potentially moved) install.

I'm not 100% sure what to suggest if it's Windows (right-click the Service name and see if you can get details on what it's trying to execute maybe?) but on Linux you should be able to open /etc/init.d/jira if that's your startup script and see what path it's trying to use to start the JIRA install.

José Luis Álvarez August 29, 2017

Sorry for the lack of information.

I'm working on Windows, and the path of the two installs is:
1.- C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA (v.7.0.5)

2.-C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA_7_4_3 (v.7.4.3)

On my only service, all seems to point to the former installation:

jira_service_issue_1.jpg

But the thing is that the message I get when I try to install the service via "C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA_7_4_3\bin\service.bat" shows a different service name from the service I see on the windows services list.

[2017-08-28 14:03:41] [error] [ 5328] Failed installing 'JIRASoftware280817094312' service
[2017-08-28 14:03:41] [error] [ 5328] El nombre ya se usa como nombre de servicio o como nombre para mostrar de servicios.

I hope there's enough information now. Many thanks in advance!

Daniel Eads _unmonitored account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2017

Hmm - strange! Unfortunately it's now above what I have experience with on Windows. I would probably suggest opening a ticket at http://support.atlassian.com at this point. Good luck!

Suggest an answer