Advice on how to configure our Workflow and Automations and set specific Sprint on Sprint closure

Chris Addison December 2, 2021

Our Jira tickets follow a Workflow from Open, In Progress etc ultimately through to Closed, however we have a conflict between the needs of the Dev team vs the needs of the Test team in that the Test team really need the tickets to stay in an un-closed state until they have signed them off in the System Test environment, which might be at a later point in time from when the tickets are being developed in the Sprints. As such we have an additional step prior to Closed called "Awaiting Acceptance". However, for the Dev team,  this means that the tickets remain in an un-closed state and therefore show up in the Sprints until they have been signed off by the Test Team. This means that every time a Sprint is closed, all of these tickets get moved to the new Sprint as they are still effectively Open.

We can filter the list to only show Open, but it's quite messy, by the end of a 3 or 4 sprint cycle when we're ready to actually release that code there could be potentially hundreds of tickets in the last sprint.

What we tried was to create a separate Sprint (not started) called "Awaiting Signoff/Release" which we can move tickets to so that they don't clutter up the active Sprints.

What I'd like to do is creation an automation on Sprint Closure to automatically move all tickets that are in the "Awaiting Acceptance" stage (as they are effectively Dev complete) to the "Awaiting Signoff/Release" sprint, rather than just rolling them forward in to the new sprint. Any tickets at any stages before that (i.e. Open, In Progress etc) would just roll in to the next sprint.

I tried adding an automation rule and got as far as an "Edit issue" action to set the Sprint, but I don't appear to be able to set a specific Sprint in there (by name) - it only has options to select the active, or next sprint? I'm also not sure how to apply the rule to only apply to the tickets in the specific state.

Any advice? Or suggestions for a better approach.

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2021

Hi Chris,

Maybe try adding the Awaiting Acceptance status to the last column along with the Done status. The sprint will only consider an issue as being done in relation to the sprint if it is in the far right column. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events