Advice for Offline, Over-Complicated Testing and Deployment Management

Chuck Foster June 14, 2018

After completing development and core platform testing, we deploy our code to our client testing environment prior to a client production deployment.  

We are currently taking tickets assigned to a Jira release (fixVersion), exporting those to Excel and creating our Client Ticket Testing Matrix (basically a row for each Jira issue in the release and a column for each client).  Once a ticket has passed testing on all clients, we come back to Jira to update it's status.  

I would love to keep this process integrated with Jira and online.  Any ideas for better managing this client-ticket process?  I'm open to advice on changing this process as well.

1 answer

1 vote
Phillip Ponzer _Cprime_ September 14, 2018

Which part are you wanting to improve? The "coming back to JIRA to update each ticket's status"? The generation of the Client Ticket Testing Matrix? Both?

Chuck Foster September 14, 2018

hi @Phillip Ponzer _Cprime_, thanks for your response!

I'm really wanting to improve the whole thing - have to leave Jira at all, the testing matrix being in a static Excel file, manually creating the matrix, etc.  I've seen info on feature flags lately and I've wondered if they could help.  Basically, it's a major pain tracking a release, which clients are ready for deployment, which clients still need certain features tested, and sometimes which clients have a release.

Phillip Ponzer _Cprime_ September 14, 2018

Have you considered creating a custom field (of type "Checkboxes") called "Client Testing" where each checked checkbox represents that this issue has been tested for that client? An unchecked checkbox would represent an untested issue for that client.

Suggest an answer