Advantages of Jira running on linux compared to Windows

Madhu Kiran Yalamanchili July 4, 2017

What are advantages one could have if we are running jira on linux platform compared to Windows. Will there be any performance imporvements if run jira instance on Linux environment.

1 answer

1 accepted

9 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2017

The formal answer is "not a lot".

The best answer is based on a bit of interpretation of your question.  I am guessing you are asking this question because you aren't sure if you should run it on Linux or Windows.  In that case, the answer is "You should run it on the system you know best".  If your organisation runs a lot of Windows systems and has Windows expertise around, and very little Linux, then run it on Windows.  Don't adopt a new technology just because you read it might be better.

That said, given a free choice, heck yes, run it on Linux.  People find that taking a like-for-like set of hardware and comparing Atlassian stuff running on the same kit on Linux and Windows can get up to 25% improvement on server-side performance, for all sorts of reasons. 

(That goes for the back-end database too.  Given a free choice on the database, always PostGreSQL first, MySQL and Oracle in a close equal-ish second place, and MS-SQL a distant fourth place.  But use the one you know best)

The other reasons for using Linux over Windows fall firmly into the area of "Operating system arguments", which you can find all over the internet, and I'm not going to repeat here.

But, I repeat - "You should run it on the system you know best" 

Suggest an answer