Advanced Roadmap - Kanban Capacity Distribution

Rachael Ghobrial February 2, 2022

Usecase: We are trying to plan capacity across several epics using Kanban. The assumption is that capacity would be distributed evenly across multiple weeks, but for a larger user story it seems to have assigned the bulk of the estimated hours to the end of the date range. 

Does anyone know if there is a setting I'm missing. We'd like to see if our planned work is putting a team over/ under capacity.

Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 9.57.32 AM.png

1 answer

0 votes
lcf_upwork April 24, 2022

I have been using Roadmap for a year. capacity was distributed evenly across multiple weeks. 

Something changed this year (beginning of 2022) and it works differently now. 

At first glance it seems like it fills up weeks to the left first, but without exceeding the available resources for the week. It then puts all excess work to the last week. 

This does not highlight overbooking as well as before. All overbooking happens in one week now, instead of clearly seeing "areas of overlap".

If that is the only difference, I think we can get used to it. What I see on your screenshot is that the capacity is put on the last week without having used up weeks prior. That of course would be completely unacceptable. 

The documentation still describes the old behavior 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolioserver/displaying-capacity-in-a-plan-974360323.html

Lauren Cooper December 8, 2022

Thanks for sharing the link. It looks like it is supposed to equally distribute among the weeks - which is what I would expect.

Is there no fix for this yet? It renders the capacity view useless for Kanban if the last week is overloaded and the previous weeks are underloaded.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events