Admin permission to specific project

Evgeniia Balyasina November 14, 2017

Hi everyone,

our management team wants to have own project in JIRA but don't want JIRA super admin be able to read ticket inside that project. At the same time the management shouldn't have super admin permission.

Is there any chance to implement it? 

Thanks in advance.

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2017

There are a number of other threads discussing this in the community. There is no way to prevent the system admin from having access. As with any application managed by IT in a business someone in IT is going to have access to sensitive info. One option is to use encrypted attachments with only privlaged users having the key. But IT will still have access to the issues themselves. Someone has to perform admin duties.

"someone in IT is going to have access to sensitive info." -that's the point. Thanks for your answer. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2017

Hello,

For the first one you should not grant any permissions to JIRA super admin in the project permission scheme. In this case the Jira super user will not be able to see issues in the project. But it does not mean that he can not add himself there. He can.

What the management should do in Jira? What permissions do they require (browse tickets, create workflows, create notification schemes?)? What is your Jira version?

JIRA cloud. 

Required permissions: browsing tickets, create, update, move on Kanban board.

One of management team has super admin permissions as well to manage workflows, etc. so shouldn't be an issue. 

Regarding permission scheme. Got the idea. Looks ok, but there is still the case which is not quite clear:

- I have super admin role

- Management project has tickets assigned to me. So I should have a project role which included in scheme, right? Would it be possible to make restrictions to my user, so I see only tickets assigned to me? 

Thanks! 

Like Supreet likes this
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2017

Ok, Then for the management it is simple. Just give them the necessary permissions in the project scheme. 

If you want a user to see, create, edit (and so on) issues assigned to the user then grant the necessary permission to the current assignee. When you add permission you are not limited to users, groups or roles, you can also use project lead, reporter, assignee, custom user field, custom group field.

You can read more about it here.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/managing-project-permissions-861253293.html 

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2017

And @Jack Brickey is right. Jira Super admin can give himself any permission in Jira.

thanks!

Suggest an answer