Adding warnings around time tracking / logging hours

Deleted user January 24, 2018

Is there a way in JIRA to configure it so that if a developer tries to log hours on something that is not "in progress" ie. still sitting in grooming they get a warning message to move the item to "in progress" before they can log hours?  

I've done transitions before with popup warnings but not sure if there is a method to accomplish this.  We leave our items in "needs grooming" until a developer is ready to work on them, so we don't over-flood the "in progress" state with items that may not be in progress yet.

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2018

Not natively, but you could easily do it with a different approach.

If you edit the workflow, and go to a status, you can enter "properties".  One of these is something like jira.permission.work .  If you add that to a status and set it false, then a user can't log work when the issue is in that status.  So they'll be forced to move it to an unprotected status (e.g. when you've got "open -> in progress -> done", I'd stick it on open and done)

See https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver074/workflow-properties-881683848.html

You probably want to clobber the worklogedit, and worklogdelete properties too in some cases

Deleted user January 24, 2018

Thanks an interesting approach, one I certainly had not thought of.  I will play around with this today and see if I can get it like I want it.  Appreciate the advice.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events