Adding time spent from all issues

Jordan Berry April 26, 2021

I am running into a wall when trying to get this to work. What I would like to do is to sum up all of the time spent on all of the issues linked on an epic, and then all of the epics linked to specific issue.

So it would look something like this (Lets say Theme is the custom issue type)

Theme <- Epics <- Story/Tasks

Is there any way to do this with OOTB, Automation, or with the  JMWE plugin?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2021

Hey @Jordan Berry

Unfortunately the way I approach this problem was with automation and with lookupissue smart value. Lookupissue smart value can only be used with specific values (Smart values - general | Jira Service Management Cloud | Atlassian Support). As stated in the previous link that @Trudy Claspill provided, you'll see a workaround for story points, which utilizes the "Create Variable" action within the automation.

I'm not aware if you could use JMWE, since anything from JMWE will be inside the workflow, thus you'll lose the ability of a "listener" (unless JMWE has a listener of its own).

Scriptrunner most likely would be my choice for calculating anything.

Cheers,
Alex

David Fischer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2021

JMWE for Jira Cloud actually offers "Event-based Actions", which is the equivalent of event listeners (which it uses behind the scenes).

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 27, 2021

Hello all,

Just thinking about another way to solve this from automation:

I haven't tried it but I expect it should work.

Best regards,

Bill

Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2021

@David Fischerdidn't know about that! But it's quite good to know that you have this functionality implemented inside JMWE!

Jordan Berry April 27, 2021

I have something functioning with JMWE, but for some reason, it doesnt fire on issue updated (When logging time) or when Time Tracking changes. I noticed your solution listens to the Time Tracking field @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ , have you had any issues with it actually getting hit when logging time/work?

Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2021

Hi @Jordan Berry ,

The only thing that I've noticed, which to me is rather important, is that it takes a quite significant amount of time to calculate it (above 1sec). Other than that, with normal use of the fields, you shouldn't encounter any problem imo.

Alex

Jordan Berry April 28, 2021

This may just be a silly question, but how do you get it to trigger? Just by logging time? Or am I missing something fundamental?

Community Leader
Community Leader
April 28, 2021

By selecting the appropriate trigger. In our case it would be "Value Change" trigger. Try something like the following:

Screenshot 2021-04-29 095403.png

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 29, 2021

@Jordan Berry and yes. You trigger it when somebody is logging time.

Jordan Berry April 29, 2021

Ahh. See that is not triggering in my instance. I have opened a ticket with Atlassian and they confirmed there was an issue

Community Leader
Community Leader
April 30, 2021

Hmm.. that's bad luck, but on the bright side it's good that Atlassian confirmed the issue. Now all they have to do is resolve it :)

If it's ok with you, let me know what was the problem.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2021

Hi, community!

That sounds like this existing defect, which includes a suggested work-around:

https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-2171

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 26, 2021

Concerning trying to do this with Automation you might be able to leverage some of the lessons learned in this post:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-discussions/Calculate-the-sum-of-original-estimates-of-all-issue-types-to-an/td-p/1660572

(Credit to @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ and @Bill Sheboy )

Jordan Berry April 26, 2021

Oh this is brilliant. My only issue would be with Story Points, as our teams use that field. Is the .sum function available on fields other that Story Points?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events