Adding "Story Points" to new issue view for Bug

Shane Taylor January 10, 2020

I have read and read and read and I just can't seem to figure this out.  I realize that "Story Point Estimate" is a NextGen field and for Classic projects, we are supposed to use the "Story Points" field.  Got it.  Ok.  Great.

So, how do you add it to the new issue view for a Bug?  It is a good practice as recommended by many Scrum practitioners to assign story points to bugs.  So, that is what I want to do.  

(Also, I would ask not recommending any solutions that you haven't actually verified firsthand because I have tried every solution I could find that was recommended to solve this).

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 2.24.20 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-01-10 at 2.26.15 PM.png

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted

Thank you!!!  I had to first turn off the new issue view in order to see Admin --> Where's my field?  then I did the following and it worked!!!!!  

Could Jira be any more complicated?

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 8.30.04 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-01-10 at 8.26.37 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-01-10 at 8.27.48 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-01-10 at 8.32.39 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-01-10 at 8.35.09 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-01-10 at 8.37.08 PM.png

Win.  Holy crap.  I can't believe Jira makes such a simple request, so difficult.

Thank you again!

Guilherme Santana
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 20, 2020

Thank you !!!

Hours and hours looking for a solution and you help me a lot with that!!!!

Li Qiao
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 13, 2021

Thank you!

That's so hard to find, I had to also look into how to switch to the old view from here: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-core-cloud/docs/temporarily-click-through-to-the-old-issue-view/. I hope they keep this option or provide a better way to edit this.

Lucas Brand
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 15, 2021

Well done, and thanks I was looking for the same

0 votes
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2020

It still sounds like that field may not be enabled for that issue type. If you open up one of the bugs and click the Add Field button along the top of the view issue screen (it might be Admin, then Add FIield; I’m away from my desk and watching “Tom and Jerry” with the family so I can’t verify the buttons :) )you should get a “where’s my field” option. Click that, find the story points field, and see if you can either add it or, if not, it will give you a set of locations to check to make sure it is enabled.

-Scott

0 votes
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2020

Hi @Shane Taylor ,

Have you checked the Field Scheme for the Issue Type "Bug?" In the project,  Under Project Settings, scroll down to find "Fields" and then check the list of fields that are included in your scheme. Also verify that the "Bug" issue type is mapped to that scheme. 

bug 1.JPGbug 2.JPG

-Scott

I think I am set up properly.  And my project only uses the one field configuration.

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 6.09.45 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-01-10 at 6.13.15 PM.png

Suggest an answer