Adding permissions to users with the evaluation license is not working

brandt.w.marshall February 18, 2015

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2015

I'm not sure I understand what you've done here.  When you say "added the 30 day evaluation licence" - what does that mean?  JIRA has a single licence, you don't add anything, you just have a licence which says "up to X users"

Could you check the licence screen and see what it actually says there?  Maximum number of users and what type of licence it thinks it has?

brandt.w.marshall February 19, 2015

A trial evaluation license is available for those who want to try JIRA agile. Going to Admin > Add-ons > Manage add-ons > selecting the JIRA Agile add on shows that my trial license is expiring in 30 days. The License details under this menu shows "Unlimited-user" and "evaluation....commercial" license. If that is the case, I should be able to go into Admin > User Management > find (or create) a user and add the group (I had originally called it a permission) "jira-users" to my team members profile. I am told that I have exceeded the number of users allowed to use JIRA under your license. How can that be if I have an unlimited amount of users listed in the Add-on license as an unlimited amount of users?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2015

Ah, hang on, you're looking at two different licences. The number of users for Agile is not limited, but the number of users for JIRA is. Could you check what your JIRA licence says? (The evaluation "unlimited users" is a simplification to avoid having to have different licences for differently sized Jira licences)

Can you tell me where to look for the JIRA license under the Administration tool? And is there a temporary evaluation JIRA license? That is similar to the Agile one?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 19, 2015

It should be under Admin -> Licences (because JIRA is the core product, its licence is held separately from the addon licences). I don't know what version you are on, so it may not be obvious - I always cheat in admin mode, I use gg and search for "licen" to get a link to it. JIRA does have an unlimited evaluation licence, the same as Agile. But if you apply an evaluation licence to your current system, you will overwrite your current paid licence, and if you add too many users and put the paid licence back, you'll find some loss of function until you can cull the user list back down within your limit. I wouldn't recommend doing this.

Okay. this helps. We are converting over to a group within 60 days, however I do appreciate the warning to move to the 90 day evaluation license.

0 votes
brandt.w.marshall February 18, 2015

I have a current JIRA project that is moving to our departments account since our licenses are all used. Until then, I have added the 30 day evaluation license to our JIRA license key. However, I still can not add the "jira-user" permission to any new users under the CompassWeb (COM) project. It tells me that all the licenses are used up. When can I expect to add new users / permissions to JIRA-Agile?

Suggest an answer