Adding only Sub-Tasks to a sprint

Chris Munro July 24, 2012

I recently read this response regarding only adding sub-tasks to a sprint (without adding the story):

Subtasks: At the moment subtasks are not shown in the Plan mode, so there is no way for them to enter a Sprint and appear on the work tab. We plan on addressing this shortly.

Has this new feature been given a release date? And if so, when?

Thanks in advance

Chris

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2012

Sorry, to clarify my comment, there was no way for a subtask to be in a Sprint at all. You can now edit subtasks on the detail tab for an issue and they will automatically be in the same Sprint as their parent issue.

We do not plan on allowing subtasks to enter a Sprint without their parent.

Thanks,
Shaun

7 votes
Andras Mantia December 13, 2012

I find this to be a serious limitations. There could be easily more subtasks that fit in a sprint and now it is not possible to include only a selection of the sub-tasks in the sprint, it is all or nothing, breaking estimation and graphs. We use Greenhopper 6.1.0.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2013

May be you should post this as a new question. Anyway, IMHO, if you are having so many sub-tasks under a story, it is high that you think about splitting the story. The scope of the story seems to be too big. Every sprint team should be able to finish 3-4 stories.

Matthew Wicks April 4, 2013

I have the same problem. If I had to split out every sub-task in a story into a new story we would be swamped with stories. Since a story is so high-level and narrative, it could result in many sub-tasks that touch different components in a system.

Please can we add sub-tasks into Sprints!

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer