Adding fields to an Issue type

Hotovaga June 30, 2017

Folks,

I have added a fiew issues in the Create tab, such as Test Case and Test Suite. Now I want to add "Test Type", such as 'Manual', 'Automation' etc. in those dialouge box . I've seen some Radio Buttons  avaiable next to 'Test Type' item for  selecting test type.

Does anyone know how to do that?

If so, plesase share.

THANKS.

2 answers

0 votes
Hotovaga June 30, 2017

Hi Maarten,

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Following the link you provided, I did create the custom field. But once I click on 'create', I do not get an option to associte the field to the issue, in this case adding to issye type: Test Case.

Once I select issue type from the Create tab, I do get the standard JIRA dialougue box, same as other issue types, except, the newly created field 'Test Type' is not avaiavle, nor I have an option to configure fields as this configuration option is available in other issue types.

FYI, the newly created field is visible in the 'Issues' page.

Thanks again.

Mike O_Keefe April 2, 2019

I'm having the same problem with adding custom fields to an Issue Type.  Doesn't seem to be anything in the documentation that describes this.  Maybe I just need to understand the terminology.  I am doing a search on "add a new field to an issue type", but not getting any responses that help.

0 votes
Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2017

Hi Hotovaga,

First of all you'll need to create a new Custom Field named Test Type. See Adding a custom field for more information. Make sure to pick the right type for the Custom Field. Select Radio Buttons.

You'll be asked to enter a name and all available items to select in the next screen.

If you want to make sure the field is only available for a certain issue type, you'll need to use a Field Configuration Scheme. How that works can be found on Associating field behavior with issue types.

Hope this helps and please don't hesitate if there are any more questions.

Best,

Maarten

Suggest an answer