• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Adding an Enhancement at the child level of an EPIC & receiving Couldn't Create the Child Issue Edited

I'm trying to add an additional Enhancement at the child level of a Jira Software epic. There were several Enhancements created at this level by the project assignee, but as the Project Manager I get the following error (I even changed myself to the project assignee and still got the issue).:

Jira__issue.png 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hello Deanne,

Welcome to the Atlassian community!

The error you are describing usually happens when the issue-type you are trying to create is not configured with the Epic Link field on its screens, as mentioned in this feature request:

Misleading error message when the user cannot create inline child issue for an Epic

Please, follow the steps below and check if it solves your issue:

1 - Navigate to your project > Project Settings > Screens > Click in the create and edit screens related to the Enhancement issue type

2 - Add the field Epic link to the screens

3 - Back on Project Settings, Navigate to Issue Layout and make sure the Epic link is added/visible in the issue screen

If the steps above do not work, please check the following steps:

1 - Check if there are not required fields for the Enhancement issue type. If there's, remove it and try to create the issue from the Epic again

2 - Double-check if you are able to create the issue using the create screen instead of the Epic inline option, filling only the summary

3 - Try to use a different browser and clear your current browser cache

4 - Is the Enhancement a standard or sub-task issue type?

Let me know if this information helps.

Thank you. The first steps 1-2 already existed within our system. Option 2:  2- "Double-check if you are able to create the issue using the create screen instead of the Epic inline option worked and I was able to link the epic ticket number. But for some reason, the epic inline way still does not work.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Software

Presenting the "Best of 2020" Jira Software roundup!

Catch up with Atlassian Product Managers in our 2020 Demo Den round-up! From Advanced Roadmaps to Code in Jira to Next-Gen Workflows, check out the videos below to help up-level your work in the new ...

225 views 1 4
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you