Adding an Enhancement at the child level of an EPIC & receiving Couldn't Create the Child Issue

Deanne Wilson October 21, 2019

I'm trying to add an additional Enhancement at the child level of a Jira Software epic. There were several Enhancements created at this level by the project assignee, but as the Project Manager I get the following error (I even changed myself to the project assignee and still got the issue).:

Jira__issue.png 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 22, 2019

Hello Deanne,

Welcome to the Atlassian community!

The error you are describing usually happens when the issue-type you are trying to create is not configured with the Epic Link field on its screens, as mentioned in this feature request:

Misleading error message when the user cannot create inline child issue for an Epic

Please, follow the steps below and check if it solves your issue:

1 - Navigate to your project > Project Settings > Screens > Click in the create and edit screens related to the Enhancement issue type

2 - Add the field Epic link to the screens

3 - Back on Project Settings, Navigate to Issue Layout and make sure the Epic link is added/visible in the issue screen

If the steps above do not work, please check the following steps:

1 - Check if there are not required fields for the Enhancement issue type. If there's, remove it and try to create the issue from the Epic again

2 - Double-check if you are able to create the issue using the create screen instead of the Epic inline option, filling only the summary

3 - Try to use a different browser and clear your current browser cache

4 - Is the Enhancement a standard or sub-task issue type?

Let me know if this information helps.

Deanne Wilson October 22, 2019

Thank you. The first steps 1-2 already existed within our system. Option 2:  2- "Double-check if you are able to create the issue using the create screen instead of the Epic inline option worked and I was able to link the epic ticket number. But for some reason, the epic inline way still does not work.

Suggest an answer