Adding a label to stories

Tanya Maslach June 14, 2021

Hi everyone,

Trying to add a new story label (Done, QA approved, In Progress, etc) and not remembering how to do this.

I think my language may not be the same as Jira's.... is it a "Category" I'm adding?
Could be source of my problem when trying to search for solution.

I'm trying to add labels, like these:

Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 9.47.53 AM.png

Can someone help with the steps to do so?
Thank you!
T

2 answers

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2021

Hello @Tanya Maslach 

There are two concepts here:

1. Statuses

2. Status Categories

Statuses are the values to which you set an issue. These are customizable.

Status Categories are ways of grouping similar Statuses together. These are not customizable.

JIRA has built-in functionality based on the Status Categories that is not designed to encompass customization of the Categories.

There are a few ways to add a Status.

1. You can create a new Status via Settings > Issues > Statuses. This does not automatically add the Status to any workflow, and you would not see it available for Status Changes in your issues.

2. Add a new Status value while editing a Workflow. That will make the Status available in that Workflow. When done this way, the Status will be available in the projects where the Workflow has been included in the project's Workflow Scheme, and within those projects it will be available to the Issue Types to which that workflow has been applied.

Can you explain the problem you are trying to solve, that you think would be solved by a new Status Category?

Thank you.

Yes -- allow me to explain.

The four categories do not fully communicate, in a way our team requires, the nature of the ticket/or issue.

For instance, when a ticket is in "Research" or "Customer Discovery" mode, work is being done but is differentiated from more typical software development effort (code being written on a specific user story).

We considered using the generalized "In progress" status for the ticket, but it did not differentiate WHAT was in progress. 

So our team wanted something that was more clear, without having to add more and more Comment threads into the ticket. 

We had successfully added a new status "QA approved" at one point, but doing so again has seemed extremely challenging.  So I came here for some additional support on how to do so (again).

Thank you for your reply.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2021

Are you clear now on how to add a new Status to the system, and to the workflow for your specific project? Or do you need additional help with that?

I did add one, but it does not show up in our Tickets - so  our team can not select it when we need to.

So -- problem I was trying to solve is not yet solved.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 14, 2021

Are you Tickets in just one project or more than one?

What are the issue types of the tickets where you want this option to be available (i.e. Story, Bug)?

In each project that contains the tickets you want to affect:

1. Go to Project Settings > Workflows

2. in the new screen, find the issue type(s) where you want this new Status to be available, and note the name of the Workflow associated with that issue type.

You will need to modify each of those Workflows to include the new Status. You also need to Publish your changes to the workflow.

If you think you have done that, please provide the screen images for evidence showing

- the screen from #2 above

- the workflow diagram for the workflow you identified in that screen (including the workflow name)

- an example issue of that type in that project where the new Status is not showing up.

Tanya Maslach June 15, 2021

Are you Tickets in just one project or more than one?
A: one

What are the issue types of the tickets where you want this option to be available (i.e. Story, Bug)?

A: Story, Bugs.

My process:

1. Settings > Issues > workflows.

Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 1.47.20 PM.png

From your instruction:

" In the new screen, find the issue type(s) where you want this new Status to be available, and note the name of the Workflow associated with that issue type.

Don't understand your instruction as it relates to what I'm looking at.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 15, 2021

When you are viewing your project/board, click on Project Settings in the navigation pane on the left.

In the new screen the navigation pane will show new options. Click on Workflows.

This should show you a screen that shows the Workflow Scheme for your project, and the list of Workflows within that scheme along with the issue type to which the Workflow will be applied.

Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 1.40.41 PM.png

Different workflows can be applied to each issue type. What I am trying to ascertain is if you changed the correct workflow for the Issue Types where you want this new Status to be available.

Also, after changing the workflow you have to publish it. Did you publish the workflow after you changed it?

Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 1.49.55 PM.png

Hi Trudy

This is what I see on the Workflows screen:

Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 8.06.33 PM.png

I don't know what to do from here as I don't see any of the Status types listed.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 16, 2021

Hi Tanya,

Okay, that confirm then that you are working with the correct workflow (Software Simplified Workflow for Project LF), based on your previous image showing the Text view of your workflow.

Can you now show us the diagram view of your workflow (instead of the text view)? Also, click on the arrow that points to the new status in the diagram so we can see a summary of the configuration of the transition, like this:

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 8.35.05 AM.png

What I'm looking for is to see from what statuses you are allowed to transition to the new Status (which will be shown in the diagram by the arrows pointing to the new status) and if there are any Conditions on the new Status.

Tanya Maslach June 17, 2021

Hi,

That is exactly the problem -- the status is NOT available.

As a reminder to my problem:

Can not add a new status inside of a project's workflow so that users can associate a status to a ticket.

I need to add a status of "In Discovery".

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 12.51.36 PM.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 17, 2021

Did that image come from you being in the Edit screen for the workflow? If not, please try editing the workflow and see if the status shows in the diagram then. 

If it does, then try clicking the Publish Draft link at the top of the workflow edit screen.

If it does not, then In the Diagram view click on the Add Status button and search for the In Discovery status. Select it, check the box for "Allow all statuses to transition to this one" (if that is what you want) and then click the Add button. It should then show in the Diagram. When you have the transitions set the way you want, then click the Publish Draft link at the top of the workflow edit screen.

Then open one of the issues and see if the status has become available.

0 votes
Niranjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 14, 2021

Hi @Tanya Maslach - I believe that you are referring to a workflow transiton/status.  

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/work-with-issue-workflows/

Thank you.

There were a few steps there I thought would help in solving this problem, but they didn't work after I implemented them.

Namely, I added another "transition" step (Discovery), but it does not display in the label for a ticket.

Here is the added step in a "Workflow":  

With other labels (To do, In Progress, done, Ready for QA) below -- 

Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 10.43.12 AM.png

I also had added a "Status", but it did not appear in the new Status labels in our software project.

Example:

I added a new Status.  See below screenshot.

Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 10.48.52 AM.png 

But it's the "Category" that I need -  in that screenshot, the actual label is "In Progress", and I need a new Category.

Ugh.

T

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events