Add story points after sprint has begun?

Jim Johnston July 3, 2012

Is there a way to add points to stories after they have been added to an active sprint? Once the issue is part of the work board, the estimate field is grayed out.

14 answers

1 accepted

15 votes
Answer accepted
Theodore Tzidamis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2012

Hi Stas, I think Shaun is right.

However, have in mind that you need to make sure that the Story Points field is visible in the project screens. You can find that in the Field Configurations for that project.

Then you can, indeed, hit 'e' and change the issue in "JIRA" Mode (not in the GreenHopper preview). Can you try that and see if it works?

Stas Oskin October 23, 2012

Thanks, this exactly what was needed.

I still advise allowing to change the scope via GH as well, unless there is some design decision beyond this.

Like SRIRAM GOPALAN likes this
Deleted user December 23, 2015

I went into my project, into Fields menu and the Story Points field is showing as default/available...what else am I supposed to do to be able to make the Estimate field modifiable in my sprint cards - I put a start date for my sprint in 3 days time but it made my sprint 'started' anyway, please advise, thanks

3 votes
fortumo April 3, 2014

We're having a problem where the burndown chart is thrown right off if we add issues to a sprint after it has begun. I understand that it is not best practice, but one must when needs must.

Atlassian, can you tell me why it is wrong and what is actually happening? OUr time remaining just remains consistently and stubbornly high.........

2 votes
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 3, 2012

Just hit 'e' to edit the issue or choose Edit from the Cog menu. You can then change the story point field. If you edit the estimate after the sprint has started this will show as scope change in the burndown chart.

Thanks,
Shaun

Stas Oskin October 22, 2012

This doesn't work in latest 6.0.5 - any ideas?

Paul Reid December 10, 2012

Same problem here.

Shane Mc July 10, 2013

In which version of JIRA was this functionality introduced? I can change the story points on stories and add or remove stories in an active sprint but it isn't accurately reflected in the Sprint report. Our version is v5.2.10.

1 vote
Tim Klein August 4, 2015

this bug is still present in version 6.4.5 - will it be fixed?

Or would you have a workaround instead?

0 votes
Kyle Andringa April 2, 2019

I've found that I can move the item out of the active sprint, edit the story points, then move the item back into the sprint.

0 votes
Michael N Smith March 11, 2016

Please enable the point estimation on the work grid.  During the sprint, we sometimes have emergency bugs that must be added.  In strict scrum these bugs should be pointless, however, we wish to understand our true velocity so we are pointing each item.  Clicking the e does work, but from a workflow perspective, it is very annoying and tedious.  I there was a vote, I would vote to enable this as part of the project settings options.

0 votes
peng peng May 21, 2014

<a href="http://www.12345.com/">sgbigw</a>

[url=http://www.12345.com/]wsgsbve[/url]

0 votes
Sándor Dojcsák November 6, 2013

Is there an open issue? So when will we get a bug fix?

Elrich Faul January 14, 2014

Hi,

Doesn't seem like I can edit the estimate in an active sprint. Has anyone gotten this right in the current version?

0 votes
Danny Gershman November 5, 2013

You can edit the story and manually enter the points. After each sprint we manually calculate the velocity because the reporting is still thrown off. We store this on a wiki page.

Sándor Dojcsák November 6, 2013

Thank you for your answer.

0 votes
Sándor Dojcsák November 5, 2013

I have a similar issue.

Is there any solution to this problem?

0 votes
Danny Gershman July 18, 2013

I have a similar issue. I changed the story points field after the sprint started and now that the sprint is over I'm not seeing the points reflected in the Reports. Just a "-"

0 votes
Theodore Tzidamis
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 10, 2012

Hi Stas and Paul,

Can you elaborate on "does not work"? Do you get some error or just nothing?

I trust you have seen the comment above about

However, have in mind that you need to make sure that the Story Points field is visible in the project screens. You can find that in the Field Configurations for that project.

Thanks,

Theo

0 votes
Stas Oskin October 22, 2012

This doesn't work in latest 6.0.5 - any ideas?

Thanks.

0 votes
Deleted user July 3, 2012

Try using the planning board in Green Hopper

Suggest an answer