Add req participants on workflow transition based on groups

Davor Fisher November 20, 2017

We are looking to add participants based on a workflow transition but rather than adding it via users we would like to be able to do it from the group.

I found this article that gives us the option to do it by users defined in the script. Would it be possible to define it by group rather than individual users so the script would not have to be updated when users are added/leave.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-automatically-add-request-participants-when-creating-an-issue-777026955.html

2 answers

5 votes
Johnson Wang November 30, 2017

Hi @Davor Fisher,

One other option for you to consider is the Power Scripts add-on. With much fewer lines of code, you can quickly and easily add request participants on workflow transition based on groups.

We've put together a quick 5 min video showing you how to set this all up. We've also included the sample script we used so you can just copy and paste it to try it yourself.

Hope this helps!

Johnson

0 votes
Joshua Yamdogo @ Adaptavist
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2017

Hi Davor,

This should be possible. Essentially, you'd just need to get the users out of the group and then set the field with those users. I answered a similar question here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Desk-questions/Using-Scriptrunner-to-define-approvers-based-on-multiple-groups/qaq-p/664935#M8176

Use the groupManager to get users from a given group:

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.ModifiedValue
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.util.DefaultIssueChangeHolder

def groupManager = ComponentAccessor.getGroupManager()
def customFieldManager = ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager()

def group = groupManager.getGroup("Managers")
def usersInGroup = groupManager.getUsersInGroup(group)
def fieldToSet = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName("Request Participants")
fieldToSet.updateValue(null, issue, new ModifiedValue(issue.getCustomFieldValue(fieldToSet), usersInGroup), new DefaultIssueChangeHolder())
Greg Mora January 19, 2018

If I am trying to make this triggered by an "update issue" event, what needs to change?

I am getting this error when trying to implement this. 

at com.atlassian.jira.issue.Issue$getCustomFieldValue$3.call(Unknown Source)

Suggest an answer