Add existing workflow and associated issue type to a project while keeping the current ones

Boyd K August 30, 2022

I have read the other postings about this but have yet to have success.  We have a project with an issue type and its associated workflow that we want to keep in place, i.e. do not want to migrate existing issues to another workflow or change them to another issue type.  We created a new issue type and its new associated workflow.  Now, we want to add them to the same project.  But, it's as if we cannot have more than one in the same project, or Jira (Data Center) sends us into steps of migrating the existing issues to the new issue type or new workflow.  Any ideas?  Shall I delete the new issue type and new workflow and try again?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2022

Hello @Boyd K 

Have you added the new Issue Type to the Issue Type Scheme for the project already? If so, are there already issues of that type created in the project?

To make the new and old workflows both available for their respective issue types in the project you must put them into a single Workflow Scheme. Within that Workflow Scheme you map a workflow to 1..n issue types, and specify a workflow that will be used if there is not otherwise an explicit mapping between an issue type and a workflow.

You could create a new Workflow Scheme, or you should be able to add the new workflow to the existing Workflow Scheme and map the new workflow to the new issue type.

If this is not working for you, can you provide details on the steps you are executing and details about what you see as a result? Screen images are also very helpful.

Boyd K August 30, 2022

Trudy - that's exactly what I ended up doing and it finally worked.  I did first delete my new workflow and then re-created it.  Interesting note: Jira told me that the workflow that I just deleted was still existing so I just gave it a different name.  Then I added it to the same Scheme and eventually I was able to have the two workflows in the same project.

Not sure what to think about the deleted workflow that supposedly may still be around.  Maybe since I immediately re-created that workflow, Jira or the system still had its existence in its cache or storage.  Maybe.

Suggest an answer