Add a new issue to a future sprint

palak234 April 1, 2021

I was earlier able to create a new Jira issue, add it to a future sprint (say 2 weeks out), but I don't see that option any more. I only see the option to add to the current sprint or past sprints or backlog.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2021

Hello @palak234 

Welcome to the community.

Are you working with a Classic project or a Next Gen project?

Can you provide a screen image of what you see?

palak234 April 1, 2021

Screenshot 2021-04-01 13.03.05.png

palak234 April 1, 2021

Not sure if it's a classic or next-gen project, how do I check that and how do I toggle between the two? Please find the screenshot above. As you can see, I only see the option to add to Sprint 25 (as that's the current sprint)

palak234 April 1, 2021

I am using a classic project

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2021

Have you tried typing in the name of a future sprint?

palak234 April 1, 2021

That doesn't show any results. Do I need to manually create a future sprint? If so, how  do I do that?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 1, 2021

Sprints are managed in the Board. You do have to create your sprints in the Backlog screen of your Board before an issue can be assigned to the sprint. You cannot create sprints during the creation of a new issue - the sprint has to already exist.

Creating sprints requires specific permissions. If you have not done this previously, you may not have the necessary permissions. If you do have the right permissions, then you'll see a Create Sprint button on the backlog screen. Otherwise you should consult with the person who has been responsible for creating the sprints for your team to get a new sprint created.

palak234 April 1, 2021

Thanks, that solved it.

Suggest an answer