Access to issue throug vLinks custom field with groovy

Giulio Palumbo July 30, 2021

Good morning, 

I'm trying to get the references of an issue (like for example a field inside that issue) through a vLinks field which gives me the reference of that issue.
is it possible to get the references of that issue through groovy?
I noticed that that field in groovy just gives me an object of type goodlink but I don't know the methods to access it.

Thanks in advance

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 30, 2021

What app are you using to provide the "vlinks" field type?

I use the version 2.2.1-jira8-e10de4f

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 30, 2021

Version of what?  Which app is providing the vlink field type?

yes of vlink field type

Sorry I didn't understand, what do you mean by which app?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 30, 2021

The field type "vlink" is not a field type that Jira has natively.

The only way to add new types of field to Jira is by installing an app.

If you want our help with this, we need to know which app is providing the field type.  I don't recognise it from any of the apps I know about, so I can't guess what it might be.

However, I can tell you where this is likely to end up - "you'll need to look at the docs for the app that is providing the vlink type field - hopefully, they will have documented how to use the goodlink object"

sorry for the misunderstandings.

The link to the app is : https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1219910/vlinks-easy-issue-linking?tab=overview&hosting=cloud

I've searched about object but i didn't find null

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 30, 2021

Ok, I can't see any useful docs on that either, I think you may have to do this the hard way - in Java, there are ways of interrogating objects to find out what methods or properties they can have.  I have not had to do that for a long time, and can't remember how to start.

The other option is to talk to the developers of the app and see if they can share the object docs with you.

Thanks so much for the quick reply! 

Sorry if I ask you here, but by any chance there are other methods to do this ? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 30, 2021

Not getting at the data in the fields, no, all you can do is ask the field for its content and if that content is an object, you need to work with that object to get its attributes out.

thank you very much for the tips and the time you gave me!

Suggest an answer