Ability to require a comment when changing "Fix version" field

Greg Williams July 2, 2021

I have a user who's asking if it is possible to make the Comments field mandatory when changing the "Fix versions" field on a ticket in a Classic/Company-managed project.

This is not like using workflow validators or making the field required in the scheme, but rather when a ticket is created, and at some point in its life cycle, (e.g. during an "In progress" state) the "Fix versions" field is changed, they want there to be a comment required in order to document why there was a change.

The issue is that developers are changing the field and not putting any comments or documentation in the ticket, and so the versions are bouncing all over the place and causing issues with reporting and organizing bug fixes.

We're on cloud version. I checked similar requests but they point back to a validator, or required field, but that doesn't help with already active tickets that may not necessarily change their status (which I understand is what the validator would need) or a ticket create (required field).

I've thought about perhaps an automation to alert the Reporter, etc. when there is a change to the Fix versions field, which might be a good start if that is possible. Any thoughts on this option? 

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2021

You may want to take a look at using a looped transition (allows you to perform an action without changing the current status), that way you can make the comment field required, and remove the Fix version field from the edit screen. 

Greg Williams July 2, 2021

Interesting idea, I'll look into it and see how that works! Thanks!

Suggest an answer