AD groups and JIRA permissions

sn June 20, 2018

Users of JIRA 7.3 server.

we have been using LDAP for authentication and JIRA user groups for permissions/security/notifications.

Now, we plan to move to AD groups. I'm in the process of identifying what User groups in JIRA can be mapped to AD groups.

Confluence and Bamboo use JIRA user directory.

Any links to support documents is helpful.

thanks !

2 answers

0 votes
Bhaskar Chandraul June 3, 2020

were you able to solve the problem. as I also want to implement the thing. but the document shared is not very helpful as it does not describe on how to user AD groups for authentication. Also i want to import certain DL from AD to jira. is that possible. 

0 votes
Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2018

Hi @sn

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/connecting-to-an-ldap-directory-938847052.html#ConnectingtoanLDAPdirectory-Groupschemasettings  has information about configuring groups while connecting to LDAP for authentication.

Would advice you to try the configurations in the test environment first to study the impacts and then implement it

sn June 21, 2018

thanks fazila.

we already use LDAP. we are moving from LDAP to AD. I'm looking for some help/information with that regards.

yes, we will test it before Production implementation.

Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2018

Hi @sn

I think you have misunderstood something.

AD -> Active Directory is a type of LDAP directory service.

The documentation is the same. Just that JIRA has a quick template for Microsoft Active Directory

It is all in the documentation link i shared above -> https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/connecting-to-an-ldap-directory-938847052.html 

sn July 5, 2018

hi @Fazila Ashraf,  what I meant was we use LDAP for only user authentications and have JIRA user groups for permissions.  Now,  want to migrate to AD for user authentication and permissions.    good information , thanks!

Suggest an answer