A user that is an admin on the project cannot see a kanban board within that project

Tom Klinovsky January 7, 2020

I'm trying to share a kanban board with my boss, he is an admin on the project, but when I share the link with him, he gets a permission denied error.

Nothing in the documentation has been helpful. This makes absolutely no sense.

How do I give someone who is already an admin on the project permissions to see the board within the project?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2020

Hello @Tom Klinovsky 

If the user is admin in project also, sometime they might not have permissions to view boards because the filter that is associated with board might be restricting user to view.

All the board are associated with a Saved Filter. So check if the user has access to see that filter.

Thanks & Regards,

Vishwas

Tom Klinovsky January 7, 2020

Thank you. Found the filter and it was private.

I just really wish it would have been more intuitive. Jira has become very unintuitive in the last few years.

There was no way I would have found that it was because of filter permissions on my own. What's wrong with a "board settings -> permissions" button? and if it's really important to reflect that it's a filter how about a "board settings -> board filter -> permissions"? Also what's with the meaningless error "This board does not exist or you have no permission to see it"? How is the Jira admin of a small company suppose to figure out where is the problem from that?

Like Deleted user likes this
0 votes
Kirk May 25, 2021

Sharing the Filter is a great answer for most Board sharing issues, but we are facing a different issue.  Some people with basic access can see a board created from a filter (4 projects in the filter), but many people with a lot of access get an error message when trying to view the board.  Has anyone seen that?  The filter is shared with "The Public".

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2020

Hi Tom - as Vishwas says, access to a board is controlled by the permissions set on the underlying filter of the board. It has nothing to do per se with the user's permissions on the project itself (i.e. roles). 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2020

Yeah, that's one of those things in Jira that you eventually get used to as an administrator. But out of the gate it's not real intuitive. 

Glad it is working for you now!

Suggest an answer