2 different results on 2 queries that should be equivalent

Johann Venambre November 24, 2022

Hello,

I have a strange behaviour that I can't explain to myself :)

I created a filter that I named "Johann Filter". The request is as follows:

worklogAuthor in ("Somebody1", "Somebody2", "Somebody3", "Somebody4", "Somebody5")

I then create another query that restricts the results to the last week and uses the previous filter:

worklogDate >= -1w AND filter in ("Johann Filter")

This gives me 16 results :)

If I create this third query which seems to be equivalent :

worklogDate >= -1w AND worklogAuthor in ("Somebody1", "Somebody2", "Somebody3", "Somebody4", "Somebody5")

it returns 9 results :(

Shouldn't the last 2 queries return the same result?

Does anyone have an explanation?

For the record, I'm in Jira Datacenter

Thanks

1 answer

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 24, 2022

Have you examined the Worklogs for the query that returned 16 results? Did you confirm that the issues included all have at least one worklog log entry that is within the past week that is also an entry for one of the specified users?

I suspect that what you are getting with the first query (that uses "and (filter-...)" ) is the overlap between issues that have a worklog authored by the specified users and issues that have a worklog in the specified date range. And I suspect for the second query you are getting issues that have individual worklog entries that are both in the date range AND  authored by the specified users.

Johann Venambre November 25, 2022

Thank you for your response

In the result of the query returning 9 rows, I confirm that there is at least one person who has logged time over the past week. All results are logical.

In the one returning 16 rows, I find the 9 previous results, normal... I also find lines where there is indeed one of the desired persons but whose times were logged before last week.

So there is indeed an overlap, but what surprises me is that in this case I should get many more results. It would have behaved as if I had put an OR instead of an AND.

By the way, if I put an OR, I get 676 results

And if I remove the worklogDate clause, I get 109 results... So I should have at least these 109 results... Weird.

I'm going to do some more tests with other people to see if this is an isolated case or not.

Thanks

Suggest an answer