migrate project to cloud or create a new one?

Alexander Pappert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2021

I use jira server with a lot of modifications.

Since server will not be supported in future, it needs to be migrated to cloud or data center.

Create a new cloud project with a new structure of issue and subtaks issue types (cause the actual one ist not the best anymore due to changed requirements) and try to import some values from the old server project?

Or migrate first and try to do some required changes in a second step?

I am not sure which causes more work for me (+downtime of the jira project).

1 answer

2 votes
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2021

I would say.. there is no easy answer. I think you said the main thing "lot of modifications". I think that everything depends on those things and no matter which method you would choose the biggest problem would be with that.

The only way is to simply try things out.. If you have a valid commercial license with support for longer than few months you can have a cloud subscription for free just for that kind of situation, to simply try things out..

If you have a choice (cloud or data center) of course easier would be to switch to data center (especially when using one node). Until server would not be supported I am pretty sure that the whole process of migration would be a lot easier than it is now.. 2 years is a lot of time, but of course if you would like to move earlier then it might be still possible, just probably more bumpy.

Suggest an answer