jira upgradation from 7 to 8 error

Thuvaragesh Rajagopal May 18, 2020

I have sccessfully upgraded jira software from 7 to 8 but after upgrading when try to import data to new jira I'm facing following issue.

This data appears to be from an older version of Jira. Please upgrade the data and try again. The current version of Jira is at build number '808001', but the supplied backup file was for build number '77002'

any help would be highly appreciated. thanks.

9 answers

0 votes
Thuvaragesh Rajagopal May 21, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

able to upgrade from 7 to 8 with old projects data in testing instance. the problem was found with database connection and folder permission.

now resolved. Thank you

0 votes
Thuvaragesh Rajagopal May 19, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

thanks for the information. I understand it better now.

Let me explain how I did the testing. I just created an AMI in AWS of the running production server and launched the testing instance from that AMI. Then I just upgraded the jira in the testing instance. after upgradation the server ID will change since this is a new testing instance but old data remain the same since I launched the image of production server. So I think the reason for not finding the old project data is because of this change in server ID?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2020

No.  Let's start from scratch, as I don't think you are understanding something and it's worth explaining my starting point

Let us say (numbers here are samples, not your versions unless I've guessed well)

• You have a Jira installation called  My-Jira.  This is on version 7.6
  • You have a Jira installation called Other-Jira.  This is on version 7.12
  • You upgrade My-Jira to 8.5.  This does not require imports - the data you have in there is upgraded by the migration process and remains much the same in terms of users, workflows, projects, fields and issues as you had when it was on 7.6.
  • Now you want to import a project from Other-Jira
  • You can't do that because 7.12 is not the same as 8.5.  You will need to upgrade Other-Jira (or a temporary intermediate service) to 8.5 so you can generate XML suitable for 8.5's project import
0 votes

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  thanks,

please clarify one thing after upgradation of jira from 7 to 8 I need to do a project import else jira would looks like a fresh installation is that right?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2020

Oh, it would have helped if you had said it was a project import and nothing to do with upgrading.

The problem you have here is that project import only works with data that is from an identical version of Jira.

You will need to upgrade the source Jira to the new version you want to import into and then redo the export.  Then your upgraded Jira will be able to import it.

0 votes

okay, but after upgradation in testing environment on the cloned version of the old jira I am getting a new fresh jira and when try to import old data  the above error occurs  Is there any workaround to fix it.

attt.png

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 19, 2020

No.  I am saying that you should follow the upgrade guides given in the docs.  They don't need any imports.

Your licence is not locked to a version, all that matters is the end-date on it - you can upgrade to any version released before the end-date.

0 votes
Thuvaragesh Rajagopal May 18, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  thanks for your reply. at present I'm testing the upgradation in a testing instance using trial license. But the above error occur.

so you are saying if I used the existing jira 7 license while upgradation it will automatically import the data?.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2020

Why are you importing?

The standard upgrade methods upgrade your data as part of the upgrade process, you don't need to import anything from the old Jira.

Suggest an answer