Workflow Validators on Optionally Required Field?

Michael McGory April 13, 2021

Hello!

I am curious how everyone would go about adding a validation check to a field that is only required sometimes.

Currently, we have a custom field called 'DOC REQUIRED'.  So, as you can probably guess, if this dropdown is set to 'YES', then another field called 'LINK TO DOC' must be populated.  This is checked on the transition between the columns 'In Progress' --> 'Ready to Review' and also 'Ready to Review' --> 'Done'.  We are currently using conditions for this validation.  We have one condition that says if the 'DOC REQUIRED' field is not set to 'YES', then no problem go ahead.  Inside that condition we have a nested condition that states that if 'DOC REQUIRED' is set to 'YES', but there is nothing in the 'LINK TO DOC' field, then it blocks it. 

The functionality works fine and it is a passable solution.  The only problem is because we are not using a validator, there is no error message that shows up.  So, what often happens is that developers don't know why they cannot move their tickets because they have forgotten the requirements.

Does anyone have any other possible solutions for this case or a similar case?

Is there an elegant way to use conditions and validators together?

I am looking to learn just as much (probably more) than I am looking for a perfect solution to the problem, so any constructive and related input would be cool.

2 answers

1 vote
Inna Gordin April 14, 2021

Hi Michael,

Full disclosure, again :) I work for a marketplace vendor - we make Jira Misc Workflow Extensions (JMWE) - but if you have a third-party app for workflows, you can see if any validators are offered and what you can do with them.

In this case, if you do happen to have JMWE running in your Cloud instance, you could set up conditional validators. Take a look at this example, which could help you set up a more robust validator:
https://www.innovalog.com/jira-blog/videos-jmwe-jira-cloud/257-workflow-validators-for-jira-cloud

Similar to yours use case is described better by Rachel Wright. While it is focused on Jira Server, it is also available for Jira Cloud: https://www.jirastrategy.com/apps/verify-approval-in-a-jira-workflow

Best!

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 14, 2021

Hi Michael - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Just a note that JMWE would easily take care of your need. We use it in the Cloud version and it is fantastic. 

Suggest an answer