Why is the next-gen roadmap feature so useless?

Sebastian Müller March 28, 2019

So I just need a simple raodmap view for my project. Classic projects dont have the roadmap feature and roadmaps in next-gen projects are pretty useless.

The most asked questions by collegues and supervisors are always the same for the last decade: how much do we have to do, how long to we need and how would the deadline change if a new task comes along. Right now I see myself unable to produce any kind of visualization, that would show me that in JIRA on demand.

Now I created a next-gen project (next-gen means, that 90% of features are missing) and added a roadmap. Visually its the right thing, but the timeline is 100% manual and has no connection to the containing tasks. Also Tasks in next-gen projects dont have any kind of time estimate. I dont see any difference using this feature and drawing the roadmap myself in MS Paint.

What I want/need and what should be a core feature of any project management:

- Estimate needed effort for every task

- Automatically generate roadmap, which shows all tasks, grouped by assignee and dynamic deadlines

- If one estimate or deadline changes, so does the roadmap

- If I add tasks, the roadmap changes

- I can see at any time what tasks does any assignee have right now and how long to finish all tasks

- I can create dependencies: if one task is dependent on another and this tasks takes longer, the starting point for the other task is changed accordingly

And of course the Workload Plugin is only available for JIRA Server.

1 answer

0 votes
Freya Käbel January 21, 2020

Same problem here.. they released a product that is not even close to be useful

Suggest an answer