Why is Jira disliked so much?

charm boyle
Banned
September 26, 2019

I've been comparing different systems for a few months in order to build a project management system. Jira core stuck out to me for a) the ease of customisation and b) cost. Their use of Java is the only big red flag for me.

What I want to understand is why Jira products are bashed so much.

3 comments

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2019

@charm boyleUsage of Java can also be treated as asset, the plugin ecosystem for server version of Atlassian software thrive because of usage of Java (OSGI rocks).

When you hate Java, please try and answer this, Would you allow plugins to run on enclosed environment of JVM or you would prefer otherwise?

Also, don't bother about Oracle Java issues, AdoptJDK (variant of Open Java) is what Atlassian is focusing on and your system will remain free.

On bashing, it is simple, to standout of crowd finger point the leader is best solution.

I must tell you Jira is a Hero, and with time every tool grows complex, but Atlassian is always pushing to make it simple and reliable.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2019

Hi Charm,

The shear number of companies using Jira implies that it is a good product and used extensively. 

It is very flexible and therefore, sometimes complex in how it operates. But you can implement it as simply or advanced as you want. 

Haters are going to hate - maybe they are jealous.   :-)

I vouch that is an excellent tool - in fact, it is simply the best out there. 

Like Thomas B likes this
Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2019
Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
September 27, 2019

@Andrew Laden looks like these are spam accounts, thank you for flagging!

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
September 27, 2019

Left open the other discussion (with spam links deleted) so I'm closing this thread.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events