Why is Jira (and Confluence) so slow when I'm on a MS Teams meeting?

Dick.Espanol August 22, 2021

I've noticed that Atlassian site performance is extremely degraded when I'm also in an MS Teams meeting. Is this an expected behaviour?

It becomes extremely difficult to run daily stand-ups when our Jira Dashboards and Tickets are taking a very long time to load. Most of the time spent in our stand-ups are spent waiting for Jira to completely load the ticket. >.<

8 answers

4 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 22, 2021

I have seen similar things a few times over the last few weeks (most of the Adaptavist clients I am usually engaged with use Zoom or Slack, but I'm currently embedded with clients who do a lot of MS-Teams)

There seems to be something about Teams that chews up our bandwidth for no reason I can see.  While this is not an issue for just having the chat with people, it does mess up the multi-tasking.

My best guess on what you are seeing is "MS-Teams is clobbering your network, so other stuff has no chance"

A very easy test (which worked really well for me last Thursday) - try Zoom, or Slack, or something/anything else for the meeting while you update your Atlassian stuff.  You will probably find it works better when Teams is not hogging your network.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 28, 2022

Only one I've seen is "use something that doesn't hog your bandwidth"

0 votes
Piotr Naspiński_ February 28, 2022

Has someone found a workaround solution to force Teams to not take so much bandwidth??

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 21, 2022

Yep, I see it sometimes too.  As above, it's something in Teams that is breaking things, not the Atlassian side.

0 votes
Felix Disson February 21, 2022

Hi,

same for me. I am using a mac 2017, Chrome and teams and is almost impossible to do a sprint review from my setup. 

While sharing the screen on MS Teams, the reaction time to edit, make comments or assign tickets is like almost 30 seconds. 

THis is really an issue as far as I can't do the meetings and need other people to share!

0 votes
Floor Kooman November 1, 2021

I have the same experience when I am using Jira while in a Google Meet. The loading takes forever and if I click a button I often click the incorrect button, as Jira wasn't ready loading the page. 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 27, 2021

Yes, it should, Jira generally isn't that intensive, but it seems like Teams just kills everything when its running.

0 votes
Adrian Schlatter September 27, 2021

I also see massive slowdown of Jira while in a Teams conference. This is particularly annoying when the Teams meeting is about explaining (and marketing) Jira...

I'm on an 10 Gbit/s FTTH link, bandwidth is limited by WLAN (=> ~ 0.5 Gbit/s). During those extreme slowdowns, I still measure 0.2 to 0.3 Gbit/s remaining bandwidth. Even if Teams is responsible for eating a massive and completely irresponsible 0.3 Gbit/s, shouldn't the remaining 0.2 Gbit/s be enough for Jira? Hey: It's a Webpage showing some text!

Suggest an answer