What is the ideal and industry tested way for JIRA permission scheme?

Amitava Mallick June 7, 2021

Is it advisable to grant permission by groups or permission by roles? What is the format that is followed by majority of the software companies worldwide?

3 comments

Comment

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2021

Hi Amitava,

I don't know that there is an exact or ideal way, but I tend to use Project Roles in my Permission Scheme and the assign individuals and/or groups to the project role. 

Like # people like this

Even I think going by role is a more secure way of limiting permissions from project to project

Nolan McConnell June 7, 2021

Agreed to both of these comments.

Like Amitava Mallick likes this
Niranjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2021

Hi @Amitava Mallick  - If a team owns a group of projects with same team members in a jira instance, then permission scheme can use groups and it can be shared among the projects.

If group management can be delegated to non-admin users, group management is a good option. If the team operates with defined roles, then permission schemes with roles can be effective. Not to forget that we can also add users groups to project roles and that makes project role based permission scheme slightly preferable. Thanks

Regards

Niran

Like Amitava Mallick likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2021

Standard recommendation is to use roles over groups.  This delegates the project user maintenance to the project owners,  and you still have the flexibility to put groups into roles to let groups maintained globally have access too.

Like # people like this

Absolutely agreed. This should be a industry practice across

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events