Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

What are everyone's thoughts on subtasks?

What are peoples opinions on sub tasks should they be used for teams? What use cases do you leverage sub tasks for vs using tasks and stories?

2 comments

John Funk Community Leader Apr 29, 2020

Hi Sara,

I will tell you that our teams use Sub-tasks very sparingly because of the limitations/tightness of the connection with parents. We also do Kanban and not Scrum so that probably helps to not rely on Sub-tasks. 

But we leave it up to each team to decide if they want to use them. I personally rarely use them. I try to figure out another way to get what I need without using them.   My two cents. :-)

Hi Sara,

We use sub-tasks.  We use stories for user requirements.  We use tasks for technical requirements or tasks.  We add sub-tasks to both stories and tasks.  The sub-tasks are assigned to the person doing the work.  We only prioritize and estimate at the story/task level.  The sub-tasks are just a breakdown of the work by person.  Ideally, sub-tasks can be completed in 8 hours or less - not always the case though.

Comment

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira

Admins, notify your Jira instance of system-wide changes with the new admin announcement banner

Hi All! We’re excited to share the launch of an announcement banner that lets Jira site administrators communicate directly to their users across their  Jira Cloud instance.  ...

688 views 17 19
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you